Artificially high speedo reading on new Audis??

Hi guys, I got my new '04 S4 last March. I noticed that at speeds that I was normally keeping up with traffic or going slightly faster in my old car, I was now being passed quite regularly in my S4. So, I do the natural response and speed up. I figured the speedo was reading about 5% high, so I asked the service guy at the dealership. He said it's a new federal mandate that speedos on cars 2004 and new must read 5-10% high. He didn't really have an explanation and was not happy about it either because he has to tell people that there's nothing he can do to fix it. The only thing he said was that it was so that people will think they're going faster than they really are so that if the speedo's reading 70, they'll really be going closer to

  1. What a load of crap! Do the stupid politicians actually think people won't figure it out? If not just by driving, but if they do get a ticket or go by one of those speed readout boards, people will figure it out. Has anybody heard about this? Pete
Reply to
Pete Stolz

Interesting that you should say this. I bought an '02 A4 in April. I'm in the UK. I've been wondering if my speedo was overreading as well. Is it possible that it's been done worldwide?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

Nothing has changed, nor is it unusual. Maybe the US has just caught up.

AIUI, legislation in the UK has required (for years now - maybe came from a European regulation) that speedometers read between +1% and +11% at 70mph. In other words, by law speedometers must never under-read. It's an obvious safety provision, as well as protecting manufacturers from frivolous claims by motorists who are being prosecuted for speeding and want to blame somebody else.

It happens that my old A3 over-read by about 5mph at 70mph, but my new A3 over-reads by about 1-2mph at 70mph. When I first got the car, I double-checked the speedometer against the speed reading from a GPS. I want to be confident about my actual speeds.

The reason that I'm anal about speedometers is because I bought a new VW Golf in 1998 which did have an under-reading speedometer. Needless to say, the dealer refused to believe me and tried hard to patronise me as someone suffering from delusions. When I became insistent enough for them to check, they were forced to replace it PDQ especially after I had pointed out to them that they had sold me a car which was illegal to use on a road. It was under-reading by about 10%, and it was obvious when driving in traffic on a motorway.

If you carry out the same calibration yourself, you might also find it very educational to watch how much other cars slow down for speed cameras or around traffic cars, when you know they're already doing less than the speed limit. A reduction of 11% at 70mph means they are actually doing less than 63mph. It seems that many cars' speedometers over-read by near to the maximum, if only the owners realised it.

Yes, I have had a traffic car tuck in behind me after I had sailed past them and everyone else doing 65mph, only for them to leave me alone after following me for a couple of miles. I like to think that it would have been plain to them that I did know what speed I was doing, unlike most others on the road it seems, but who knows?

Reply to
David Nesbitt

There's another federal law which says people should not post stories about fictitious federal laws on Internet News :-)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

A law that they must always read at least 1% high? Rubbish!

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. Both the EC Directive and the ECE Regulation lay down accuracy requirements to be applied at the time of vehicle approval for speedometers. These requirements are that the error in the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. The requirements are also that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

There is no such thing as an "accurate" speedometer that used engine speed and gear ratios to calculate speed. Your indicated speed varies according to amount of tyre wear and whether the tyre is over or under inflated. You the driver would certainly sue the manufacturer if booked for speeding when your speedometer indicated you were travelling within the speed limit. For that reason all car makers have sold cars with over-reading speedometers, long before any law made them do such a thing. A GPS system is certainly much more accurate as it is not affected by things like tyre condition. Obviously such a system cannot replace the cars speedometer as it cannot work anywhere the satellites cannot be seen. It would also help if some smart-alecs would shut-up instead of writing bullshit on things they obviously know nothing about.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

And grumpy too.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

Interesting, thanks.

Hmmm... haven't I seen you before somewhere... like yesterday on uk.media.home-cinema? It's a small world!

Peter.

Reply to
Peter

Thank you for your correction.

Reply to
David Nesbitt

Hi Peter, yes I am an owner of both an allroad and a Sony RDR-HX710.

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether the DVD drive in the Audi Nav+ RNS-E is intended to be able to play DVD movies, or is it only a DVD ROM drive for navigation map files and MP3s?

I just tried putting a film DVD into mine and the disk was not recognised.

Happy trails.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

That makes sense, but then why does my 2002 Durango read right on the nuts when I pass one of those speed boards they put by the side of the road? I wonder if they calibrate those wrong too. Pete

Reply to
Pete Stolz

I wondered that too. My 2002 A4 also reads exactly the same as those speed boards at all kinds of different speeds. I tested the speedo by driving at exactly 60mph between two mile markers and timing the run using a stop-watch; time was within a tenth of 60 seconds. I repeated the test at

70mph and 80 mph. That also gave an accurate result. So, as long as the mile markers are accurate, the speed boards and my speedo are within 1% of the true speed. My '95 Passat was within 2%. Then again, I once used a radar gun to clock an airplane hanger at Sebring at 57 mph :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

Hurricanes can blow a person holding a radar gun at just about that speed. Not much holding back the breeze at Sebring. :)

Reply to
Pete Stolz

OK, you've had your fun, now can any of you find me a maker who guarantees their cars speedometers are 100% accurate all of the time?

Maybe it would be wise to search Google before trying to redicule someones statement first. Or as they say "engage brain before pressing keys".

Have a nice day.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

It's not a car, but my Ducati have a 100% accurate speedo. Tested and veryfied with a GPS.

Cheers,

Reply to
BBO

OK Oldun, maybe we're just a little too defensive here. I was just asking you a fricking question. The first thing I wrote in that message was "That makes sense...." Geez, relax.

Reply to
Pete Stolz

All is forgiven, I did not intend to offend anyone just trying to make a point.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

At the risk of myself now being accused of being too defensive, I didn't do anything that needed to be forgiven. I wasn't messing with you; it was a serious question about whether the speed board are purposely calibrated to be inaccurate.

Reply to
Pete Stolz

The drive built in to the RNS-E will play normal Audio CDs, data CDs containing MP3s and will read the navigation DVDs. For anything else you will need a separate drive.

Reply to
Peter Bell