centering steering after installing new steering box

I just installed a new Flaming River steering box into a '69 Mustang with power steering. I centered the box by turning the steering wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left (4 turns) and then half the number of turns back (2 turns). Then I set the front wheels pointing straight and adjusted the control valve sleeve so that the stud lined up with the pitman arm and installed the castle nut.

However, I can turn the steering wheel two and a quarter turns to the right (from center) before it stops, but only one and a quarter turns to the left (from center) before it stops. Is this proper or is something wrong? The front wheels look like they have turned the same amount in each direction respectively but I have not road tested the car yet (because I haven't locked down all the bolts yet because I was waiting to make sure everything is together correctly).

Any helpful comments are requested.

Reply to
Steve

I would suggest that you contact Flaming River Tech Support.

I'm pulling the FR long shaft I put in, and replacing it with the FR tilt column coupled with an RRS power rack and pinion system.

Not sure how FR and RRS compare in setup... and I'd have to dig back into the manual to see if there is anything different between what you have done and what RRS says to do.

Reply to
Spike