steering box adjustment?

Hey everyone, my 90 model Z71's steering is sort of 'dead' at the top of the wheel, whereas it seems to float a little before moving the truck to one side or the other; i replaced the idler arm and pitman arm(?) on it, but it still feels vague, but on the older solid axle chevys there was an adjustment on the steering box, it looks like the same star shaped adjuster on it, will it adjust the steering tighter, if so, how can i do it?

Thanks in advance

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

This one is a bit tricky:

So be careful!

Loosen up the lock nut on the adjuster, and turn in the adjuster one eighth to a quarter turn, and lock the jam nut again.

Check at the outside of the wheel, after you've turned the wheels side to side a few times. Center the wheels, and you should have a bit more than an inch of play from center with a 15 inch steering wheel, and if it's 16 or

17 inches, 1.5 inches to 2 inches play at the outside of the wheel.

With the engine running, and the wheels perfectly centered. Before making any adjustments, I suggest you get someone to move the wheel with the engine running, see if there is any play in the tie rods, the steering box is moving in relation to the frame or the rag joint is frayed or broken.

I hope this helps?

Reply to
Refinish King

Has it always been like this?

My last two trucks, a '02 and an '04 were also like this.

I put together some custom alignment specs for the '04 here, and had a local alignment shop set up the front end for me. It's A LOT better now.

I'm running +4.5 caster, -0.2 camber, and 0 toe.

Stock specs call for an uneven alignment to account for the crown of the road. The problem is that around here the crown is very inconsistant. The camber of the road is always changing, so the stock specs are no good.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

You might want to check the pump pressure i have had the same problem on my

95 Z71 replaced the gear to f>>
Reply to
Roger Gross