Steering Problem-Desperate for Help!!!

I posted this some time ago but haven't been able to find a solution...

I can turn my wheel about 1-1/2 turns to right, BUT only about 3/4 of a turn to left. The steering box is not hitting the stops. My alignment seems OK. When the steering wheel is at 12 o'clock both wheels are straight. The clamp is also with the correct notch pointing forward. I went through the Bentley and Haynes manuals and saw nothing out of place.

PLLLLEEEAAASSSSEEEE help....

Reply to
Mel P.

The steering box has a center position, where there is roughly 1 1/4 turns of the wheel to each side. In that center position, the wheels should be straight ahead. Your box is not centered when the wheels are centered.

There is a procedure in Bentley for finding the exact center for the box. But roughly, you need to find the spot where the gear mesh is tightest. This is best done if you disconnect the Pitman arm. Feel the wheel force in the vicinity of 1 1/4 turns from one side. You should be able to find a "high" spot. If not, adjust the gear mesh (screw on top) slightly.

After you have the wheel centered, lock the wheel in position (Bungee cord). Now connect the Pitman arm. The wheels will be way off center. Make them center by adjusting *both* tie rods an equal amount.

You'll need to check the centering by driving it. If the steering wheel is off center, adjust the tie rods some more. Finally, check the toe-in.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim