Changed oil... very little came out

I vote with JD.... these things have to have a real problem before you see any smoke after the combustion chambers and the cats warm up......

Here is the lesson that gets learned and relearned and never sticks - CHECK THE OIL AT EVERY FILL-UP!!!!!..... it's the cheapest insurance you can ever buy. I never have to add between changes on any of my iron but I never stop checking. After the change, check the level.... run the motor.... make sure the oil pressure comes up.... check for leaks... shut off the motor and recheck the level. I've been doing this for over 35 years and I do this every time - whether it's my ride or my customers ride. It costs nothing, doesn't take much time and is easy to do...

Jim Warman

Ok... she changes her oil on a non-level surface... a very very slight hill, but she has ramps she drives her car onto to crawl underneath (if only she were young still...she's like late 20's, early 30's.. biggo woman). She doesn't lower her car when draining oil.. she doesn't check oil level at every refuel.... I think the non-level thing might be doing it.. I'll get her car on a more level surface & lower the car when draining the oil to help ensure all of it is out. I'll letcha know what happens. Thanks, Brent. For now I'll avoid motor flush.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

oil flush is a great start..mabye throw an oil change after a few hundred miles as well ~stew~

Reply to
stew

Well... I looked at her oil level.. it's in the middle of the bar... I imagine if there was oil not drained then it'd be way higher, would it not? Could it be sludge & not raising the oil level? What should I try? Lucas Oil Stabilizer? What do you do if it IS burning? She's starting to freak out& I don't have answers.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Ok... got a hold of her again today.. she gave me $20 so I went & got 5 qts Mobil Drive Clean ($1.29/qt), 1 bottle Lucas Oil Stabilizer ($6), Ford Motorcraft oil filter ($3) and went to work.. got underneath there.. looked very similar to mine.. got it on jackstands, got underneath.. drained oil.. brought the car down.. drained MORE oil... jacked the car up.. put the plug back in.. took off oil filter... drained that, trashed it.. total oil that came out was very close to 5 qts (recently changed)... I put in 4.5qts Mobil drive clean.. about 2/3 qts Lucas Oil Stabilizer (yaya a bit over 5qts.. ).. of course I put a little fresh oil on the oil filter gasket & screwed it on (hand-tightened) after filling it up a bit with fresh oil.. anyway after done.. she fires the car up... says she doesn't really notice any difference... she takes it around the block (roughly 3/4 mile all the way around & back). Check for leaks.. no leaks. She said when she was driving it that it felt MUCH better.. and a lot smoother. I told her that I'd check on it again in a few days. I took the rest of the lucas oil stabilizer & put the majority of what was left in my engine.. and I immediately noticed how much smoother & nicer it rode.. and then I put the rest (only a bit... but enough to notice a big difference) in the manual transmission (ripped the tri-ax shifter off & poured it in.. took about 25 mins total). It shifts smoother & gets in & out of gears easier... I am now sold on Lucas.. the stuff WORKS. I bought some Lucas fuel injector cleaner/treatment too.. will put that in as soon as it stops raining. I just filled up.. hope I was supposed to.

-Mike

wrote in message news:a3toc.9456$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
<memset

at 13 May 2004, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:XOToc.1$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

You may wanna check out the below link about Lucas Oil Stabilizer...

I'm no oil expert but the story there is scary...

Reply to
Paul

Yeah I've already seen that a few times. I still have seen first hand the vast improvement on TWO engines (and my transmission) so far... although I am curious to see it drained in 3k miles.. to see how it looks. Thanks for the caution though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

You said she uses ramps to change the oil. All the oil will not drain if the vehicle isn't level. The oil is sitting in the back of the oil pan and can only drain down to a certain level.......about two quarts will come out if she has the ramps I'm thinking of.

OR

Use the ramps and jack the back of the car up to make it "level"

Reply to
John

I ended up jacking it up & then lowering it.. then jacking it back up to get back underneath. Worked well. We'll see in 3k miles how it holds up w/ Lucas oil stabilizer.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
stew
** Well... I looked at her oil level.. it's in the middle of the bar... I ** imagine if there was oil not drained then it'd be way higher, would it not? ** Could it be sludge & not raising the oil level? What should I try? Lucas Oil ** Stabilizer? What do you do if it IS burning? She's starting to freak out& I ** don't have answers.

I wouldn't not EVEN begin to advise a male of the species what to do in the event a female 'freaks out'. Personally, I run like hell and never look back.

As to the oil additives, my advice is to avoid them.

As to the low oil level, my advice is to fill it to the 'full' line with the proper viscosity oil. Instruct the female to check the level at each and every fueling without exception. Replentish when it drops below the 'add' line. Change again in 3 mos. or 3,000 miles.

That's pretty much it. There is no more. Problem solved - move along.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Heh I dont' think I"m ever gonna use more than 1/2 quart in any weather. 1/2 did plenty for me.. less than 1/2 even.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

You missed the joke!