Chevy SB to 86 Mustang what!?!

Anything think i can stuff a 305 SB into my pony? =) my bro is buying a LT1 for his trans am and I can have his old motor

Reply to
John W

Other than it being free, why? The 305 isn't particularly anything worth going through the trouble for.

Reply to
Brent P

I've seen several SBC powered Mustangs. The 305 is a total piece of garbage. Not worth the iron it was cast from. IF you are going to do this do it right the first time and get a 350. Jump onto Ebay and LT1 parts are a dime a dozen like Ford 5.0 parts. I've seen several LT1 blocks going for $99. They'd make a great foundation for a street build-up and/or stroker. Is the '86 Mustang already a V8 or a 4 cylinder or what? DO NOT USE THAT BOAT ANCHOR 305.

Helmut Roner

1988 Mustang GT
Reply to
HELMUT RONER

I have to agree, even Chevy guys are ashamed of the 305. It's not a great motor for making HP especially while the 350 exists in such quantities.

For a price, you can shoe-horn any sized engine into your Mustang. I have a friend with a 502 & powerglide in his 95 Mustang. He races in the Super-Pro class.

-- Buzz Haze-Ottawa ON

87 5.0 LX Coupe
Buzz Haze

Don't waste your time with it. Take the boat anchor 305 and sell it and get yourself a REAL engine!

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

Reply to
John W

That means you'll be doing even more work than it takes to put in a ford 302 (5.0L) and have less. The chebby 305 isn't well thought of, that much I know.

Suppose it's up to you to do all the work of a V8 conversion plus all the work of making a mutant (chevy in a ford) all to save the cost of a used engine.

Reply to
Brent P

Heh,

Not to be mean, but by the time you buy a transmission (your 2.3's transmission can't be used, that I know of), custom driveshaft, do the wiring, plumbing, and mechanical rigging you could have bought a nice 302 or 351w. I agree with the group, a 305, even if it is free, while is a reliable motor, it is about as useful and desireable as a straight-6. You will also have a very tough time selling the car in the future with a chevy motor in it.

CoogarXR

1983 351w Project
Reply to
CoogarXR

If he wants to put a Chevy 305 in his mschine, then let the man learn from his own mistakes. In his case, he'll soon learn that free doesn't mean priceless.

doc

Reply to
doc

You could probably go to your local wreckers or put an ad in the paper and swap somebody for a 5.0 Ford to put in your stang.

Reply to
Tracker