Got my GT!

The GTs are still in short supply in Maryland (I've seen ONE on the road), so I finally started looking at alternatives a few weeks ago. Went to a
Pontiac dealer and tried out the GTO--nice and fast but just not "right". After the test drive I told the salesman my heart was really in a 2005 GT but couldnt' seem to find one and would probably have to factory order and wait. He told me his father was a salesman at Ford another 15 miles up the road (further than I'd been looking) and might be able to help. I didn't have much to lose so I went.
The dealership was in this out of the way town in north central Maryland, but the guy was old school nice and all. He pulled 2 build sheets out, all automatics, and said they'd arrive in a week. Although I really wanted a manual, I said to give me a call if they came in. I was pretty skeptical about getting a call given the demand, but less than a week went by and I got the call. A screaming yellow automatic was in but so was a 5-speed in Torch Red. Drove it on Thursday, got the finances in order Friday, and drove it off the lot on Saturday. And the yellow automatic was apparently getting sold about then too. Right after buying the car I had errands to run a bit to the north in PA through some nice back roads. I wanted to break the engine in gently so I didn't push at all, but I sure as hell worked the curvy roads.
I had my last muscle car back in 1984 when I was married (let that be a warning, by the way). My first was a '69 Roadrunner, followed by a Dart Sport, then a Camaro...there's no describing the deja vu. Right now my new Mustang sits comfortably in the garage, and damn it if we're not having a snow/ice storm tonight. There goes the Sunday blast down the highway. At 47 it's about 3 years ahead of my plans to give myself the ultimate birthday present at 50, but I don't see ever letting go of this one. Never again.
My 18 year old son has a 2004 'Stang--I'll have to post something on the web site for you all soon when the sun comes back out!
One question: how well are these factory tires in the wet?
John
Congrats, John. I'm watching a torch red GT on the Travel channel -- as I'm writing this. Their show is all about Mustangs. Oooh, there's a silver one doing a burn-out.
You made an excellent choice!
Bob '03 Cobra coupe

the
all
new
birthday
web
Congrats John! Great story about a boy and his horse.
Happy trails to you....
Kate
[...]
"A boy and his horse." LOL! I think you're on to something there.
Speaking of that, there's this great short sci-fi film from the 70s starring a then unknown Don Johnson called "A Boy and His Dog". Ever see it?
John

up
out,
wanted
and
5-speed
and
Dart
my
having
the
The title is familiar, but I am not too sure if it is something I read or if I actually saw the film. *** I Googled it. Sounds like quite a story. Not at all what I was thinking it would be. I love old Sci-fi and didaster films in particular. I may have to hunt this one down and watch it.
Kate
[...]
It's based on a short story by one of the old sci fi authors. I remember seeing it in college back in the 70s, and hadn't thought about it since until your "boy and his horse" reference. Gotta tell the wife that one--she'll understand COMPLETELY.

the
Went
miles
by
Friday,
wanted
now
ultimate
on
JohnW wrote:

remember
since
If your car starts talking to you like the dog did to Don Johnson in that movie, we'll want to hear all about it.
180 Out TS 28
It does. Just last night, when that Maxima was tailgating me, it said "Make the Nissan your bitch." And so I did. I must obey, you know...

Congrats on the new 05 GT.
Ryan

Congratulations, John. I've got a yellow 5sp manual, and I love it!
The only thing I don't like is the logo in the center of the wheels. I'd much prefer the Mustang logo as opposed to a plain jane FORD logo.
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes
Lucky you. :) How much did you pay for it? Did you pay over MSRP?
--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

I r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
List. Woudn't come down a nickel. But it least they didn't ask a nickel more!
John
wrote:

road),
"right".
GT
and
didn't
Maryland,
skeptical
in
apparently
At
again.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:41:23 -0500, "JWGroovin"

You did better than I. I paid $1000 over, but they *did* come down from $3000 over. Now they're getting $2500 over!
I can't help you with the wet traction issue. So far we have had only snow, treated with salt, etc., and I don't take mine out of the garage.
I've had Pirelli tires on other cars, and they have had great traction, wet or dry. I don't know about these new ones, but the old ones were great.
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes
wrote something wonderfully witty:

About the only good thing that can be said about that, is that with as many people that there are that are paying at least list and a little over are fairly covered since I doubt we will see any discounts for a while. That should protect your resale value for a while.
If you gotta have what you want when you want it, sometimes you gotta pay. I'm just not willing to at this time.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."

My next-door neighbor got a V6 for $2100 *under* MSRP. He brags continuously. He can't understand why I look at him and say, "Yeah Rick, but it's a V6!"
You are displaying some financial sense. There's nothing wrong with that!
John H
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes
I've got one in stock. It's a 5 speed Premium in MINERAL GREY with DARK CHARCOAL LEATHER and the interior upgrade package. Ready for delivery at MSRP, trades welcome. It's the last one in stock. Email me for details.

The hype is fading. Ford has the inventories on line and there are two GTs within 1/2 hour of me. There are a lot more with 6 cyls at those same dealers.
-John
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 06:41:23 -0500, "JWGroovin"

I think that is the best that can be expected right now. I tried & I tried, but dice on moving off list price. There was an awful lot of people lining up early on with big deposits over list to be first owners of this new Mustang. Same thing happened with the GTO & SSR introductions and those people are now regretting it as they see these first years being discounted massively to move what is left of the first model years inventory out the door. I've heard of Pontiac dealers sending `04 GTO's off to wholesalers to get them off their lots. What is funny is that they are doing it again for the "New & Improved" second year of these two vehicles.
I doubt that we are going to see any massive leftovers of this first year run of the GT's. In my area I certainly didn't see them offering anything special on the `04 GT's & Mach 1's either. Most were all gone by the middle of the summer. There was this sweet `04 Mach 1 that I really wanted to make a deal on, but the dealer wouldn't budge. It got sold at list like all most everything else on the lot. They do have plenty of `04 V6 drop-tops still available though. No idea what kind of deal they are making to move them though.
Anyhow, good to hear that you were able to get what you wanted, when you wanted it at I guess a fair price. If everyone is paying list or better they should hold their value well in the out years. I've heard from a dealer that the upgraded interior parts supplier is having problems meeting demand and that option has been suspended from ordering at this time.
--
"Either kill me or take me as I am,
because I'll be damned if I ever change..."
I think I mentioned in my original post that I heard about the available GTs while in a Pontiac dealership. They offered $6000 under list to take the black 2004 GTO off their hands, but it just didn't do anything for me. My son got an '04 Mustang in July for $3000 under list in Annapolis, MD. They had a LOT of them on the lot to move, including 2 Mach for $22k each. Given the price he's had no qualms about making mods immediately (the usual exhaust and cold air, etc).
I don't think I've ever paid list before in 30 years of owning cars, but given my luck getting my hands on this jewel I have no regrets. I'm not worried about resale--I hope I'm never in a position where I want to sell it.
By the way, mine came with the interior kit and was ordered in November...I have their build sheet.
John
wrote something wonderfully witty:

John, where was the build sheet?
There was a thread about that over on the Mustang Source forum, and no one could find their build sheets.
-Bill J. 95 GT