Cleaning EGR system

My 1986 5.0 failed smog test No Surprise here as I had just recently failed the one with My SUV it turned out the Cat went bad so I took it to a local shop and paid the $300. I took the 5.0 to the same shop and had it checked. I paid them to trouble shoot the problem they said the EGR Valve was bad and the tubes were plugged also. They wanted $600.00 to Replace the EGR Valve and unplug the tubes. The Cats would be extra. This seemed a bit high so I decided to give it a try my self. I do most of the mechanical work on my cars & truck myself such as breaks, water pumps, Clutches etc. just have not done ay smog related repairs. I should have all the necessary tools.

Looking for tips from any who have performed this task before.

Thanks

Gary

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
Photobossman

I had my 86GT cats replaced under a recall. This was about ten years ago though. See if the recall was ever done on your car. Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT P-1SC & Some MM Stuff

Photobossman wrote:

Reply to
Gill