Pinging

Car is pinging every new and then at full throttle... maybe 1/5 times. It's very unnerving. Also, I'm losing about a 1/4 of a quart of oil every 3k
miles. I'm going to clean the air filter today, clean sensors, I already replaced EGR valve. What else would you recommend I do? Thanks in advance. Btw, running 91 octane (designed for 87, but on 87 it pings worse).
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
If it pings at full throttle but not at tip-in, you likely have a fuel supply problem.
And the O2 sensors wont see it because they arent looked at at WOT
Filter, pump, line kink
opined in

I'm not sure how I can inspect the fuel lines more thoroughly than a visual inspection... filter was replaced about 5k miles ago. pump is the factory pump as far as I know... should I check fuel pressure??
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

It's
advance.

yup, Sounds like the thing to do. If you fuel-filter is clean, this is the next step. How many miles are on the car ?
God forbid it would be the dreaded intake manifold failure causing one or more cyls to burn lean!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

steve opined in

ooops!
But that should show when you read the plugs

Two things I would recommend.
First is to clean the MAF sensor element. Over time it develops a coat of dirt that insulates the element which in turn causes the meter to send a signal to the computer that it is seeing less air than is actually running through the it. This causes the computer to deliver less fuel to the cylinders than is required and a lean condition occurs which can result in detonation (aka "pinging").
Second is to dump a can of BG 44K into the gas tank. If you are burning oil it might be causing a buildup of carbon in the combustion chambers. Since the carbon takes up space it has the effect of raising the compression ratio of the engine. This in turn can cause detonation. BG 44K will also do a great job of cleaning the entire fuel system. The cheap fuel system additives found in auto parts stores aren't worth using IMHO.
As mentioned, you may have a fuel delivery problem such as a weak fuel pump or a semi-clogged fuel filter.
As a last comment I don't think burning a 1/4 quart of oil every 3,000 miles is all that bad. We had a T-Bird that burned 1-2 quarts every 3,000 miles and it lasted to 183,000 miles and ran great up until our son introduced it to the concrete base of a light pole at 35 mph.
snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Hmm... BG 44K. Damn. I just put in a can of Seafoam Carbon Cleaner... LOL. *slaps self*. I've heard good things about BG 44K as well, but the only place to find it here is at Precision Tune Auto Care & they are closed on Sundays. Sooo i opted for Seafoam instead. About $5.50/can wasn't too bad I thought. Bought 2. Put 1 in gas tank. Have the other sitting right here on my desk. About to go clean the MAF sensor (come to think of it, I *did* let my air filter get pretty dirty once... didn't clean MAF afterwards either) & disconnect battery for 20 mins. I put in a can of Seafoam cleaner & 87 octane... and SURPRISINGLY it immediately pinged FAR less... mostly at 4k-5k RPM range & in 3rd gear. The car feels a tiiiiny bit more "alive".. definitely not more "powerful", but just more responsive. These were immediate results. Car has been driven about 30 miles since I did Seafoam (I drove it a while on purpose). Anyway... I'm off to clean the MAF sensor. Hope I can find some electrical parts cleaner around the house..
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
wrote:

It's
advance.
Brake cleaner works just as well as electronic parts cleaner.
snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Seafoam is also very good for cleaning. Make sure you do not top off the fuel, run it almost empty so you get to use the maximum strength mixture of gas and seafoam..

You are not very firm on that.

Are you sure?
-- Lady Chatterly
"ha, that's not a bot. she corrects my typo. oh, you are a self-fighter because you fight against somebody who will always fight you." -- yyyiiinnnggg
Just found out that a few dealerships around here keep BG 44K in stock. I'll hafta drop by & see if this Seafoam carbon cleaner doesn't work. They're about $25/can at Precision Tune... I'll see what the dealers charge. Thanks, Michael.
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
wrote:

It's
advance.
The Ford dealer sells it here for $20/can. It's worth the price.
snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Hmm... dealership selling it cheaper?? Wow. I'm gonna call some dealerships this week & see who has it. A few were listed on the seafoam site. I'd like to support my local Ford dealership so I'm gonna call 'em first ;P. Even though they suck sometimes.
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors
wrote:

already
Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

Damn!!! I didn't realize that stuff was that expensive. I have a gold mine in my garage, lol!!! I have about 10-12 cans I think. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT
Erik... buddy.. pal ;).
Seriously.. where the heck did you get that much from?
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Honestly I don't know. My brother gets it. He's a mechanic so he brings home stuff all the time. I think BG has some kind of thing where when the mechanics use the product they get incentives. I'm not really sure though, all I know is I have some over here. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT
opined in

read the plugs to see if there is one or two running leaner than the others
What indications would there be on the plugs? Also, I left the gap settings at what NGK set them... I believe it was at 0.045 or close. I could be wrong though. I'll check 'em all tomorrow. What gap should I be using? 0.054?
-Mike
-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch 255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

others
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:16:32 -0500, "Michael Johnson, PE"

yeah, this is probably a normal amount, even on the low side I would think. Wouldn't worry about it.

ouch.