Competition for Mustang

This is going to be the Stang's competitor. Comes out in 2007. Between

400-500hp with price starting around $66k. Kinda ugly, but it is a Nissan.

lothario4real

At that price, it would be far out of the Mustang range.

A vette with the Z51 package would probably kick it's ass at a lower price, and a Z06 at the same price would definitely do so.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Well... a decent Mustang is about $30K or so Canadian.... how can something over twice the price be a competitor?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Cobra Boy

wrote

Wow, twice the price for twice as ugly. That roofline is dreadful. It almost looks "surprised" that it made it past R&D.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

OMG it is the Hyundai Tiburon!

Scotter

That's a beautiful car, and no doubt worth $66,000. But a competitor for the Mustang, no way at $66,000. Not even the Shelby is going to be in that ballpark. I'd say the Cadillac CTS-V or the BMW M3 are the targets.

It's too bad that Nissan chose to go high end with its first V8 2-dr coupe. NoOp Patrick and I have been saying for years that Nissan and Toyota need to drop their truck V8's into a simple rear drive two-door priced in Mustang/Cambird class. This car makes that very unlikely; how could Nissan sell a 400-500 hp 2-door for $66K if it had a substantially identical 300-350 hp car for $28K? So in fact this Proto whatever would tend to take Nissan OUT of the running for popping out a Mustang competitor. Too bad.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Nissan made a bad move on this one. The 350z was a better deal. They should have just made a V-8 version of the 350z. The 350z looks better than most sports car on the road nowdays. That would've made Ford really nervous.

Reply to
zcarenow

My problem with the 350Z (and the 300Z that preceded it), is that they are a horror show to work on. There literally isn't a cubic inch of unused space in the engine compartment. Even routine tuning tasks become ballbusting adventures that require hours longer than on any other sports car. I always liked the previous twin turbo version of the

300Z, but unless you've got hands like Tiny Tim, plan on lots of scrapes and cuts as well as doubling or tripling repair times for common tasks compared to other sports cars in the same price arena.

It makes changing the plugs on a 390FE in a 67 Mustang seem like a walk in the park. 8-)

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

One of the great pleasures of working on the oldies: you pop the hood and you can actually see the ground below. With a 289 in a Mustang or better yet a Galaxie you can see more daylight than engine. Although I bet it's easier to change the plugs on a modern cammer than on a 351C in a '70 Cougar or Stang.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Ain't that the truth. My Chrysler 300M and Adi A4/A6 take less than 5 minutes per plug with their coil over plug design. Remove two bolts and the coilpack pops off, replace plug, replace coilpack, move to next one.

The only easier car I've had was an old inline 6 Mustang (don't remember if it was a 200 or 250). You could change all 6 plugs in less than 10 minutes.

Reply to
Ritz

Nah, the Tib is much better looking IMO. I'd thought of buying' one when they restyled it and added the V6, but even with the bigger motor, it's a total DOG with ZERO hop ups available except N2O. Forget it.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Typical. The Japs rip off the Viper's front brake vents. Though they probably don't function.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

The "Japs" had functioning brake vents and cooling ducts for the Z back in the early 90's. Your thinly veiled (or not veiled at all) racism is sad.

Reply to
Ritz

It's not racism, it's reality. I've seen reflections of American cars in their offerings for over 25 years.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Fine, I'll assume your "Japs" comment was innocent enough. But your comment about the brake vents is demonstrably false. They were available on the Z cars before the Viper even existed.

Reply to
Ritz

"Rich" wrote

Remember when the Celica looked EXACTLY like a mini '70 fastback?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

competition for the mustang at 66K ?? I think not.

Reply to
RT