Convertible Fluid Question

Hi All, It was time to replace the convertible hydraulic lines in my 86 vert. They were so brittle that they just snapped like dried twigs. Well, I got replacements at 5.0Resto and had such a richly rewarding day installing them (my forearms still ache) So my question: I knew from reading in this NG that the pump takes Tranny fluid. On the pump there is a sticker that says "use Type A Trans Fluid". Ok, at the local stores all I see is Type F, Dextron, and some blend for Chrysler. Will it matter at all if I use Dextron or Type F? Is Type A actually just plain hydraulic fluid? Thanks in advance. Len S.

Reply to
Len S.

Type A was the old Dexron spec fluid..... GM used this for many, many years before Dexron2. I don't have access to any shop manuals older than 92 when I'm at home but everything I see points to using Mercon (same as Dexron2) for the top...

HTH

Jim Warman

Should be okay with Dexron (no such thing as DexTron ) :) In reality for an application like a hydraulic top motor, just about ANY trans fluid will work fine.

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

I have come accross some that have been ATF while others have been hydraulic oil. I go with what it appears was originally in it

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy