Convertible safe in a car wash??

I want to wash my car, but it is still too cold to do. Would the convertible be safe in a car wash? What worries me mainly is when the air dryer blows down on the back window...it seems like it is just sewn in, and seems like it could fall out or something. Thanks

The Billy

Reply to
The Billy

The Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can always put the top down and go through..

The Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

behehehehehehhehehh

Reply to
<memset

I put my vert thru a car wash every other week or so. (Breaks my heart to have to drive it in the winter) The top shakes like a bastard in the dryer, but nothing has ever come loose. It's probably no worse than a bad wind strorm.

Bob Hedeen Satatoga Springs NY

2001 vert GT "Snow tires off >The Billy wrote in
Reply to
Robert A. Hedeen

I've been putting mine through the car wash about once a week for six months and haven't seen much wear.

Reply to
Zen Cohen

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers
Reply to
V'ger

----------------------

I would be skeptical about running my vert through a commercial car wash. They might spray on some type of hot wax which would probably not be good for the top. Also, the brushes, driers, etc... this stuff may not wreck the top right away, but... I don't know, I'd avoid it if possible. I think the owner's manual says NOT to go to a commercial car wash. Where do you live? I'm in the north-east, and it was about 38 degrees F today. I washed my car this afternoon in my driveway. As long as it is above freezing, it is no problem to wash a car outdoors. Here's the trick... fill a bucket with WARM water from inside your house. Then also use some waterproof type gloves... I have a pair of neat fisherman's type gloves... cheap at any sporting goods store or even K-Mart etc... they keep your hands warm and dry. Or you can even just use disposable rubber latex type gloves. The gloves combined with using warm water in the bucket makes for a very pleasant washing experience in even 34 degrees F. If you can, wear some rain boots too just to keep your feet totally dry. I washed my car today... it was fine... quick, easy, and I didn't feel cold at all. The warm water really keeps you feeling warm. Normally I don't care too much if my car looks dirty, but I just wanted to get that damn SALT off it. Gave the underside, wheels wells etc, a nice hosing. All I know is that my grand-dad used to bring his car to a commercial car wash on a regular basis, and after a few years his paint job was shot... lots of fine scratches all over the entire body, landau top was coming apart, etc.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

The sealed canvas top will be just fine in a car wash. It's a real tight weave with a pretty dense seal. The '03 Cobra cloth top, which is a loose weave, shouldn't have hot wax applied to it too often. The back window is sewn in on both but it's done well so a dyer isn't going to pop it out :).

The real issue is that the windows don't seal very well against the top and the wash spray tools shoot at angles that magnify those weak seals. So, some water is likely to seep into the interior. Not a lot, but some. Take an extra towel, just in case ;)

Reply to
Dan Talso

Testify. My left shoulder usually gets trickled on, but I'm ready with a couple of Bounties.

The Princessmobile used to leak in the rain, but only above 50mph and directly into my crotch. I didn't dare take it through a car wash.

This "new" '93 GT is -knock knock- leakless so far, even at speeds well above that. Still, I keep some paper towels in the car just in case. (A habit I picked up when my kids were very young.)

BTW - I put the top down for the first time in a LONG time. Temperature climbed all the way up to 48 this afternoon, and I couldn't resist. Felt like an idiot on the drive home, shivering at times, but it was ... exhilarating. Yeah, that's it.

dwight

dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:c0c1qr$14p4fh$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Did you put the heat on? Much more comfy for us old farts.

Joe
** I want to wash my car, but it is still too cold to do. Would the ** convertible be safe in a car wash? What worries me mainly is when the ** air dryer blows down on the back window...it seems like it is just ** sewn in, and seems like it could fall out or something.

I wouldn't EVER put my GT though a commercial car wash. The 'touchless' outfits around here use very harsh chemicals that eat the paint and cloud the clearcoat on the wheels.

Want something done right? Do it yourself.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Are you kidding? I mean, I'm not one of those geriatrics wandering around Philly in August bundled up in an overcoat, but I do feel the cold.

After getting used to a high of 32 being the exceptionally warm day, I had to go topless yesterday. I was fine at the start, but every once in a while, I'd hit this long stretch of upper-speed driving and find myself wishing for a good traffic jam. 48 degrees sitting still and 48 degrees with a 60mph wind are two entirely different things.

Love it.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

To each his own. Naturally, I much prefer to wash the car myself, if only because no car wash in the world comes close to getting the car completely clean (or spot-free). But this winter has seen an ugly cycle of snow - salt - snow - salt, and sub-freezing temperatures for weeks on end. There comes a point when I simply can't stand it anymore, and off to the car wash go I.

That being said, I favor one particular car wash. One close by uses far too little water in the rinse, and that leaves a layer of soap sitting on the paint. I made the mistake of using this one in July - on the black LX, and ended up polishing and waxing after the sun had "baked in" the leftover soap. Another local car wash has a problem with their tracks - my 225's barely fit, and the "ride" through the car wash is lumpy, bumpy, and I can feel the tires rubbing. They got my business one time only.

No, my car wash of choice is much better. I spring for all the extras, and the cost is still low. Plenty of soap, plenty of ugly, dirty carpet strips hanging from the ceiling to sway back and forth, plenty of undercarriage spray, and plenty of rinse water just before the four massive blow dryers at the end (and, yes, the convertible top sounds like it's going to rip loose from its moorings). Still, it never really cleans the back end of the car, but at least the horizontal surfaces look fine.

First option - a hose and bucket in my own driveway. Second option - the self-service spray wash (temperatures above 35, please) Third option - automatic car wash for "emergency" situations

dwight twin '93 5.0's

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:c0d7cf$15im5e$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

What, you didn't put the heat on and you're whining about being cold? Hey, if it's below 75 down here (like last week) and I want fresh air I put the heat on and crank the windows down. I love driving barefoot with nice, warm air hitting my tootsies and a good, cold blast coming in the windows.

Joe

Rigorous and exhaustive research have given me the correct answer: 50 degrees out - the top comes down and the windbreaker anorak goes on; below 50 - it's too damn cold!

Robert A. Hedeen Saratoga Spr>>

Reply to
Robert A. Hedeen

No, no, no. I DID put the heat on, and I still whine about the cold. Hey, my tootsies were toasty, too, but my upper body was a mite chilled.

Besides, I wasn't complaining, really... Like I said, 48 up here is a veritable heatwave. We're predicting to hit 50 on Saturday! Polish and wax coming up.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Hey, 48 is real close to 50. And a lot better than 32. (And I wear leather.)

dwight (...who used to ride the motorcycle as long as it was above 20...) (( ...and that was a LONG time ago... ))

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:c0ghu5$17898h$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

D-oh! Now I get it.

That's one of the sucky things about the '93 ventilation system - you can't blow hot air out the vents and the bottom ducts at the same time. It's either or.

50 is downright freezing. It was in the high 40s/low 50s about a month ago (night temps), and the heat in the house was cranked.

Today it hit 84. :)

Joe

It breaks my heart to put my Vert into hibernation for the winter!

Why don't you get a cheap winter beater car/truck ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu