Common parts to replace + spares

Hi, I'm kinda new to this group. I just recently bought my first (running) beetle. Though, I have been studying/wanting one for over a decade. My new acquire is a '75 Type1 Std Beetle in good shape. A little rust here and there, but she's solid where it counts. Never been in an accident as far as I can tell. Everything appears to be stock.

I have no history or maint records to tell me how well she was taken care of, or not. So of course an oil change + tune up will be the first thing to get out of the way. My personal inspection found a few problems, but except for cracked ball joint boots (all four) and a misaligned headlight she will soon be ready for the road.

My question to you all....

When dealing w/ a newly acquired Type1 of unknown background, what parts would you immediately replace for the sake of safety, or to avoid future failure. Either because the replacements are so inexpensive (that you should "just do it"), or because they commonly wear out (and fail on you when you least expect it).

Here are some things that came to mind:

- oil + strainer (covered in the oiil change)

- cap + rotor + points + wires (covered in the tune up)

- throttle cable

- clutch cable

- all fuel lines

- all vacuum lines

- fuel filter

- air filter

Also, what common spares should I keep on hand:

- fan belt

- points

- valve cover gaskets

Can you think of anything else?

This will give me an idea of what fix ups to tackle first and what to save for later. I want her to be as reliable as possible.

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

'75 was the first year for fuel injection.

Find out if yours is still FI. If it *is*, fuel lines are a priority. There is a special fuel filter by the tank as well.

Oh....and get a proper manual as well. The Bentley for '70 thru '79.

Click on Library Click on "F" for Fire Prevention Click on "F" for Fuel Injection and hose replacement.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Make sure there's no fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb if this is a carb model. Too many burned up bugs from those leaking.

In my kit besides tools I carry: oil, a spare fan belt, clutch and throttle cables, points/condenser/rotor/cab, valve cover gaskets and a fire extinguisher. Also a jumper cable but I've only ever helped others with it.

You can get home without a clutch cable or throttle cable when they break, but IMHO it's easier to just fix that on the spot with a spare.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I would put break inspection on the list as well.

Reply to
anton

Wow! Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

My shopping list just got a little bigger!

My RHD 75's still got a PICT-3 carb, but I've confirmed that was stock for where I am (I live overseas in Japan). I'm still working on the model differences between US-models and RHD. I have the Bentley and Muir manuals but they are not an exact fit for my model. About 95% of the info is usuable, I just have to adapt it sometimes. It makes ordering parts from the US a liitle troublesome... but that's a whole different subject.

I've added all the suggestions to my list and am already working on a VW tool kit that I can leave in the car full time.

- metric sockets + spark plug socket

- metric wrenches

- a variety of screwdrivers (to include two large ones)

- hex head wrenches

- feeler guages

- spark plug gap tool

- circuit tester

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

You also want to look at the brake lines, the 4 rubber and the main metal line. Look at the main line around the accelerator pedel, this is were they rust and leak.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

THE LONG TRIP TOOL KIT

I did this for my clubs newsletter some time ago... I'm sure it's overkill, but you need to decide what you want to take...

You do carry a few spare parts don't you? So I decided on making a list. At the same time, I realized why not publish this in our club's newsletter. By the way, I've marked things I always have in my Bug. A few years ago someone had posted the question on what should be carried for long trips with air-cooled VW's. I printed it for future reference and am using it plus a list in the Muir book. So here it goes:

TOOLS

a.. Metric socket set * x b.. Large adjustable wrench or set of box wrenches c.. Voltmeter x d.. Screwdrivers * x e.. Tape- Duct and Electrical * x f.. Torque Wrench (optional) g.. Tachometer/timing light x h.. Vice-grips x i.. HYDRAULIC jack (not the stock Bilstein) * x j.. Wood blocks x k.. Electric connector crimper (optional) l.. Flashlight * x m.. Hammer-ball peen x n.. 17 mm Allen wrench (for tranny) x o.. Metric Allen wrenches x p.. Sandpaper x q.. Feeler gages x r.. Pliers * x s.. Needle nose Pliers x t.. Golf tee-for plugging fuel lines * x

PARTS

a.. Oil- 2-3 qts for engine, 1 qt for tranny * x b.. Brake fluid x c.. Throttle cable * x d.. Tranny cable * x e.. Carburetor- spare f.. Fuel pump-especially in stock FI * x g.. Fuel Filter h.. Distributor i.. Points/rotor * x j.. Plugs * x k.. Brake hoses l.. Fan Belt **** x m.. Headlight & bulbs * x n.. Gas line * x o.. "Temporary" screw type pushrod tubes * x p.. Fuses * x q.. Wire x r.. Electrical connectors s.. Valve cover gaskets x t.. JB weld x

By no means is this list all-inclusive. Also depending on your VW's condition some things may not be really worth carrying. These decisions are for you to make. For instance, why wouldn't you already have a spare fan belt or at least 1quart of oil? Do I really need a torque wrench? What about carrying a spare carb? I know that my 77 Bug with stock fuel injection will require towing if I don't have a spare electric fuel pump and filter. I also need to have the tools to do it. For example, the golf tee is excellent for plugging the fuel line while swapping pumps. I know some may say that the back would be filled with this stuff. If you're part of a group, maybe split up the inventory. Be creative with your storage. Use the luggage storage space behind the back seat, the compartment under the back seat, under the front seats. Like insurance, better to have and never use it than to be stranded on some interstate.

(By the way, the items marked with an 'x' all fit in 2 small gym bags behind the back seat.)

Reply to
Mel P.