Cost of painting vs. value of car

How does a person come to grips with paying $2000 to paint a car that is worth less than $2000? I know the paint job will increase the value a couple hundred dollars, but no more than that I bet.

I'm sure it happens all the time (people paying more for paint than the value of the car). The same thing would happen if I decided to buy a Kenne Bell supercharger ($3000 part for a $2000 car). The numbers just aren't going to add up.

But with an 11-week-old boy to think about, I also have to let the practical side of my brain have a say. Does it make sense to pay 100% of the value of the car to have it painted? Or maybe the $250 job at Maaco that would (hopefully) be better than what I have now?

John

93 GT
Reply to
jmvannoy

It looks like you already know the answer. But in case you need an extra push....

Take care of your son. You'll always be able to get another car.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Well if it is a real paint job or a Maaco paint job and I was worried about money, I wouldn't bother with either. The Maaco's can end up looking like el-crapo the large majority of time.

Another option is your local Vo-Tech at the H.S. or CC. Many times they will paint cars for practice if you supply materials. I've gone this route a couple of times and have been much happier then with a Maaco job. If you buy quality materials the instructor is going to make sure they prep & apply them correctly,.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Homeowners face the same kinds of choices when the decide to remodel or fix up a home. Certain remodel projects really do have a big return on investment, while others may have none.

They almost never will add up. I paid $5,000 for my paint. I could have gotten it for about 1/5th of that figure by going to MAACO or one of those types. Or, I could have paid twice what I did by going to a custom shop.

What you have to do is prioritize. How important is that paint to you compared to other things in your life.

When I do something, I don't look at what the return on my investment will be with a car. I do it simply because that's what I want, or what I can afford at the time.

No, it doesn't. Unless you had a very special car and intended to auction it off.

As for MAACO, et al, you can go that way but, you're rarely ever going to get out the door with the job done right for that price. They tack on a lot of little things, like do you want the windows and chrome masked off? Or, hey, we can't warrantee the paint if it goes on over old bondo... Last year I had a 66 Mustang Fastback with a MAACO type paint job. The paint was already chipping and flaking. It was a quickie done just to sell the car. The guy I sold it to knew cars, and acknowledged that it was going to have to be repainted. He still paid full price because the car was great under the paint.

I've known people who did it all themselves, and cheaper than a MAACO "final" estimate. Got some books on How To, rented some equipment. Invited the Buds over for a sanding party, etc. And it turned out just as good as MAACO (well, actually Earl "I'll paint any car for $39.95" Sheibe).

Another option.... Got a local college with an automotive division, or even a local high school with an auto shop? Our local college loves to get cars supplied as training aids. They'll rebuild an engine or tranny, paint, etc for the cost of materials/parts. Check around with independent shops for prices.

It appears you are trying to talk yourself out of spending a bundle. Don't try. You already, apparently, know what your best move is, and what your responsibilities are. Sometimes in life you have to set aside the luxuries and get real. Best of Luck and Life to ya. Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Reply to
Spike

Great minds think alike apparently..... LOL : 0 ) Looks like we all caught on to the same (thought) wave... Tubular! Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Reply to
Spike

I know a moron who put a $10,000 paint job on a $2500 Porsche 914.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I know a moron who not only put an expensive paint job on a 914, but swapped in a 327 chevy engine. One of the hotrod magazines had an article about the car. They tested it at the track and at 120mph, the windshield molding blew off. 8-)

Reply to
Ritz

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpg
Reply to
Spike

It's amazing how fast he's growing though. He's almost 12 weeks old. Seems I've hardly blinked since he was born.

John

JohnV@nn wrote:

Reply to
jmvannoy

I feel your pain. I just dropped $2K on TFrog's transmission, and TFrog's book value is probably right around that.

But I don't think that way.

My wife pays over $300/month to drive a new car every other year. While I don't make monthly payments, I do make lump-sum payments like this last one. TFrog's been paid off for a long time, but it's never truly paid off.

If I add up what I spend on that car over the course of a year and break it out into monthly payments, it still wouldn't approach what it costs for a new ride. Besides, I'm not about to trade in or trade up - TFrog is a keeper.

I never look at that car and think "book value". I think "dwight value" - what it's worth to me.

I'm looking ahead to a new paint job, myself, and I won't flinch at spending that much for a very good finish. I plan on keeping the car long enough to make it more than worthwhile.

Now, if I were thinking about spending $2000 to repaint the car "in order to sell it", then, no, I wouldn't bother. Good money after bad.

dwight

dwight

Why get it painted at all? It doesn't provide any functional difference to the car. Take that $2K and buy Harley (or whatever) stock. In 2-3 years when you're ready to buy another car, that $2k will be worth a tad more. If it's rust, that's not a good reason to get the car painted. IMO, it's a good reason NOT to get the car painted. Whenever you see rust spots, just wire brush them and blast with Extend. The rust you can see on the outside is not your enemy; it's the rust underneath that you can't see.

Reply to
.boB

It's a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. When you see them every day, you notice less change than say an aunt who sees them once every three years. This condition exists in every aspect of daily life.

Here is an example.... when I was in high school we lived in a small area where a patrol car made the rounds on a fairly regular basis. We would totally dismantle and remove the school bus stops which were roofed boxes. We'd do so a section at a time. The bus stop would be gone and the patrol would not notice the difference. THEN we'd make an anonymous call and report the missing bus stop. The poor patrolman got called on the carpet I'm sure.

How often have you drive a route and suddenly observed a major change, and when you check, you find it has been there for several months?

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video. Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpgFeb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/davescar_7_11_05_002.jpgJul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/Engine_rebuild_006.jpg
Reply to
Spike

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Agreed.

Only if you carry a balance. I see those expenses as "improvements".

I know the feeling. The LX has been through three "deaths" so far, and it's always come back to life. The last one cost around $5k to fix (certainly more than the book value of the car), but it's always worth it. If I bought another car for the LX's book, I'd probably have to dump a few more grand into that car to make it roadworthy and decent. I know what I have with the LX, and there's no way I could've ended up with a car as nice as the LX is for the $5k plus book. Of course, I'm giving weight to the fact that it's a 5.0 as opposed to a Jap 4-banger.

See above.

Part of the $5k went to repainting the entire front end, since it is the 2nd "new" front clip anyway. Came out beautiful. Because it's been mostly garage-kept, the rest of the car is pretty nice too. The only thing the LX needs is a good wax job.

Selling isn't an option. The LX is an heirloom anyway.

Joe