Diesel Engine swap into 1971 Mustang Fastback...

Availability of BioDiesel makes B100 more appealing to me. I'm not sure if Hawaii has ethonol available anywhere.

As stated in a subthread, when prices for regular gas in Hawaii spiked close to $4.00 a gallon (petrol diesel also jumped up to a similar price range). Biodiesel was still available for $2.69 a gallon. Although, I again reiterate that this project is currently nothing more than idle musings. Although methanol is used for the production of BioDiesel (or so I've read), I really don't have an interest in brewing my own. Apparently Hawaii State law classifies "used cooking oil" as a hazardous material, and you need a special liscense to haul it away/dispose of it. Plus, I have a hard time mixing kool-aid properly, no way I'm going to brew BioDiesel.

I do appreciate the input though, and the talk of stainless steel fuel lines is something that I've seen mentioned in some BioDiesel forums. Apparently, BioDiesel, being a solovent, has a nasty habit of destroying rubber fuel lines.

Thank you for your >

Reply to
RR News

Seems like it would be so much easier to pick up an old VW Jetta/Golf w/existing diesel engine. I guess if you have sufficient budget and time, and you don't assign any value to your time, you can make almost any engine work in almost any car.

Reply to
Ritz

The big sugar planation on maui.

Hawaii can make tons of ethanol which is why they were trying to pass a state ethanol content law.

Reply to
Brent P

Unfortunately, I live on Oahu, and I've not heard of any ethanol available here (although they are trying to produce and ethanol plant down at the Cambell Industrial Park area). But BioDiesel is available right now.

Regarding Ritz's post above: Yes, I've kicked around the idea of buying a used Mercedes Diesel (1995 range) from E-bay, and experimenting with BioDiesel. My funds aren't a HUGE worry to me, but they are finite. More important to me is space, I have a two car garage, and enough space for two extra vehicles in the driveway. This would prevent me from maintaining two project vehicles in the garage.

Right now, I've been toying with the idea of using my Escort as a "trial run" for a biodiesel swap. If I can source one of the UK 2.0liter Diesels, this may allow me to whet my teeth on this sort of project. I already have the chassis. I just need an engine now (and knowledge, intelligence, etc etc). That being said, perhaps it would be better to look into having a german made Escort/Focus sent to me with a diesel engine (Although I'm positive there wouuld be tedious import laws and regulations to work with).

But as always, thank you for your >> Availability of BioDiesel makes B100 more appealing to me. I'm not sure >> if

Reply to
RR News