205 1.8D > 1.9TD engine swap

I drive a 1994 Pug 205, 1.8 Diesel (Non-turbo). The engine has developed an expensive knocking sound - it still runs fine, but sounds increasingly rough.

Anyway - I have always hated the sluggish performance of the 1.8 diesel, and this knocking sound is an ideal excuse to swap the old 1.8 diesel - for the 1.9 Turbo Diesel unit I have always wanted.

I have a choice of cheap used 1.9TD engines, in a number of different cars (Citroen Xantia, Citroen BX, Pug 405 etc...) Are all these engines the same basic unit? Will it be an easy swap for the 1.8 diesel in the car at the moment?

Has anybody tried this 1.8 > 1.9TD swop before? If so, is there anything I need to look out for?

Any advice gratefully received!

TomW

Reply to
TomW

Hi,

Sluggish isn't the real name. Not the quickest Diesel car, for sure, but far good enough for a classic driving.

C'mon, try a google :-) Yup, all the same unit, XUD9TE, 1905cc TD & intercooler engine, able of

92HP. Usually fit with a Lucas DPC series pump.

Possibly you'll have trouble for placing the intercooler over the camcover.

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

My advice would be to just fit the 1.8TD as that will slot straight in. If you got the 1.9TD you'd have issues with the intercooler (assuming they all have one, i dont know) - it wont fit with a standard bonnet, but if you take it off you'll need a non-intercooler manifold, and also the turbo is a bit bigger (at least n some cases), and it ill fit but requires a slight 'modification' of the heat sheild (ie a good bashing).

The 1.8TD was offered in 205s, Rover 200/400s, BX and i think the 405 had them as well, probably a few more too, so shouldnt be too difficult to get one. A few years ago i brought one for 200 quid which was in good nick from a rover 200.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Reply to
Mindwipe

Why don't use the intercooler? Just because of the bonnet? The power gained by the i/c weighs up against the 'trouble' of another bonnet. In germany some 205's were fitted with an 1.9 TD from the factory. So it will fit. Also the last 205's were fitted with the 1905cc diesel. I.e. the 205 generations from '97 and '98.

Greets, Jon.

"Mindwipe" schreef in bericht news:41572879$0$20249$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

Reply to
Jon Florijn