Disable Antitheft

I have a 98 Mustang theft recovery that bought at auction. I replaced the steering column which had been destroyed with a used one that came with the chipped key to it. Everything works now except it won't start and the light on dash flashes "theft". Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this thing to run? I would like to completely do away with the theft deterrent if possible. Thanks

Reply to
rhtrigger

The key doesn't match what is programmed in the computer. How did it get stolen in the first place if the PATS wasn't disabled by the thief? Did the insurance company just total it out because the column was smashed up?

Reply to
Brent P

From what I've heard, that chip in the key is just like a resistor, each one has a diffrent resistance and apparently a good shop that sells remote starters or alarm systems can make up a bypass resistor that fits inside your steering column which will eliminate the need for the chipped key ... might be worth looking into. Another thought that might work is go back to the auto place you got the steering column from and get the Theft Deterant module out of that car (left rear fender well in the trunk) and try using that one instead of yours... just might work :)

Reply to