Do 289 flange bolts require sealant?

Somewhere I read that the flywheel bolt holes on a 289's crankshaft are drilled all the way through, so that you must use sealant on them or they'll leak oil. Is this true? If so, what do you use, RTV silicone or thread locker?

I'm talking about a '65 289-2v, if this matters.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I don't know if the cranks differed from year to year but the '69 302 I have has flywheel bolts all the way through the crank, thus requiring sealant. Threadlocker is not recommended, you should use pipe dope ( plumber supply will have it) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet