Don't know where else to turn...

... got a 1990 Mustang GT Conv. triple white... The top just WILL NOT close all the way - to the point of a 1/3 gap along top. (head get real cold in the winter) Ford dealers won't even touch it. Any ideas, bending, forcing? TIA

Kevin Miller

Reply to
Me

Hey Kevin

If I read this correctly, you are saying you have a 1/3 inch gap when you try to close it?

The top IS adjustable. What you need is to find an upholstry shop that does convertible tops.

It's possible that you could heat it and let it relax some before closing it. I wouldn't force it. You could tear it or bend something or even break something.

Give a bit more info, maybe even post a lin to a picture. Is it out in freezing cold all the time? When was the last time that you closed it completely? Did you open it on a cold day? (That's a no no, great way to crack your top) Where is it stored? How long has it been like this?

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Thank you for your response! I believe you're on the right track... The top is obviously 'old' and I believe 'hard'... Does this make sense? In turn in doesn't close right. I was/am just afraid to sink $600 for a new top and not have the issue resolved... Thanks again!

Kev>Hey Kevin

Reply to
Me

Hey Kevin, You can get a good one for less and then have it installed. It will total that much, maybe more but you will love it when through.

Hope you get it fixed and let us know your results ok!

Kate

: >If I read this correctly, you are saying you have a 1/3 inch gap when you : >try to close it? : >

: >The top IS adjustable. What you need is to find an upholstry shop that does : >convertible tops. : >

: >It's possible that you could heat it and let it relax some before closing : >it. : >I wouldn't force it. You could tear it or bend something or even break : >something. : >

: >Give a bit more info, maybe even post a lin to a picture. : >Is it out in freezing cold all the time? When was the last time that you : >closed it completely? Did you open it on a cold day? (That's a no no, great : >way to crack your top) : >Where is it stored? : >How long has it been like this? : >

: >Kate : >

:
Reply to
Kate