door lock busted. actuator?

Hey, all. Not sure what is going on here. One day I was unable to unlock the drivers door of my '89 using the outside keylock. I came in through the passenger side and used the drivers door release to open the door.

However, now I can not lock the drivers door -- using the key from the outside, pushing the power door lock, or pressing down on the door lock itself. Is it the actuator. The rod does not even seem to want to push down.

Not really sure what it is, but don't want to just start throwing money on parts if it isn't the right thing.

Anyone offer any experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

Likely NOT the actuator itself. probably something bound up. And dont worry about throwing money away on the parts, you probably cant buy them new anyway.

Go to a salvage yard a u-pick if possible.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This may sound really odd.... but, at work, I would remove the door trim panel and look to see what the problem is.... Armed with this information, I can order the correct parts for the repair....

In Canada, Ford has recently announced a vintage parts program... not sure about the US... that features NOS parts. These parts are not available through the standard chain but a resourceful dealer should be able to check availability.

Reply to
Jim Warman

My 89 LX did the same thing. On it when you press the button or use the key it still moves the motor some and on mine when the motor rusted and froze solid I couldn't move the knob either. Suffice it to say you won't know what it is until you rip the doe panel off.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What??? How absurd!!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I had a similar problem in my '89 hatch. I removed the lock solenoids and the problem went away. Ok, so I no longer have power door locks... I can reach across the car to lock/unlock as needed AND I ditched some weight.

KAM.

Reply to
Madmax

Haha! Hey, a picture is worth a thousand words! FWIW I had a similar thing happen on my Tbird and it turned out to be a piece of cardboard left over from manufacturing that finally found it's way into the regulator, after 8 years or so. Took 5 seconds to fix, once I could see what it was.

Reply to
John

Well, for what it's worth... I did already pop the door panel off. I did not see an obstruction or binding source. Whatever is going on is happening behind the metal plate that covers the actuator, door latch area. But I will keep fishing. I was hoping someone had a similiar experience to help ID a focus point for me to go look at. Thanks, guys.

Reply to
Steve