electrical 1990 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

I thought I had a dying battery. The car would intermitently not start. Now won't start at all. Mirror lights only go on dimly and when igitiion is turned on mirror lights go out completely. I replaced battery and pos cable that was deteriorated. Any additional advice on what to check next.

Thank you.

Reply to
pmayberry

Now check the neg, ground cables..

Here's a hint get a helper, have them turn key while you pull and tug the big wires!

USUALLY the closer to the problem the less effort to make it change.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If you got the same symptoms with new battery, would be in neg cable, you would have a high resistance in path from battery to rest of car and starter. Clean inside of cable clamps and outside of battery posts. Lights should be on bright at least. and engine turn over.

What else is it doing ?

FYI there is a problem with the alternator connector you must use the grease on the connector pins, else the connector will tend to burn up get crispy, over time and burn the wires/circuit board just inside the alternator, this can happens if your battery is low, or you have a high resistance path, and too much current gets pulled out of alternator over time. Symptom is the battery doesn't get fully charged up.

Reply to
Dr Moronica

Agreed. Although I always hate to admit these things, my battery cables were disgusting enough that they wouldn't draw enough juice from the battery. They LOOKED clean enough, but the corrosion on the inside of the connectors was enough to make me buy a new battery when one wasn't needed.

But if the positive cable was deteriorated, why not replace the negative at the same time? (Which reminds me, I have to order a replacement set of cables...)

dwight

Reply to
dwight