91 nissan sentra total electrical failure

91 sentra E 1.6 4 speed manual the story: drove to the store no problems. car was not completely warm yet, returned to the car, turned the key and all the dash lights, headlights, all lights went off and stayed off. car did not start (of course) after flipping the switch a couple of times the oil and battery light lit dimly, and i was able to roll start the car (starter would not engage- acted as if battery was low) car drove normally, then drove the 1/2 mile home and on my road turned the car off while rolling (in case it repeated its actions) and the same thing happened. nearly came to a stop in the middle of the road before the dim oil and battery light came back on and i was able to pop the clutch and get the car to start again. barring corrosion which i don't suspect what do you experts expect to be the problem here? ignition switch i kind of rule out because even the headlights refused to come on while this problem was occuring! any specific relays/fusible links to check? thanks !!!
Reply to
Robbie Wilson

On 1/3/2005 11:40 PM US(ET), Robbie Wilson took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Have the battery checked.

Reply to
willshak

replace the alternator

DO NOT use and aftermarket reman unit from Pep Boys or NAPA etc. etc. as you will only be replacing it again in a few weeks/months

Go to the dealership and get a factory reman unit, yes you will pay more but you won't be replacing it again in a few months

Reply to
NissTech

Reply to
John Smith

Welcome back! Good to see you and Happy New Year NissTech!

Oh yea, to make this `appropriate'... `Ditto on the getting a genuine Nissan alternator.' :-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Thanks everyone! I am keeping an eye on the problem, but unless my diagnosis is wrong the problem was .... dirty battery terminals/cables! i had been putting off cleaning them - never remembered to buy club soda at the grocery store! well i cleaned the terminals and posts and reinstalled and have strong headlights, strong starting, and no issues. if the issue re-occurs then my diagnosis is ... well wrong. :)

Reply to
Robbie Wilson

Thanks Wil,

Hope your holiday season was as enjoyable as mine.

It is good to be back, I guess I just needed a break for a while.

Reply to
NissTech