1989 Mustang LX 5.0 wont start

Hi,

I have a 1989 mustang lx 5.0 that wont start. There is no power to the ignition switch or any part of the car. No lights, nothing when turned to accesory. I have doen the following so far:

  1. Replaced the neg battery cable.
  2. Replaced the post battery cable.
  3. Replaced the solenoid on the inside fender (by the battery)
  4. Fully charged the existing battery and tested with a knwon good fully charged battery.
  5. Tried to junmp with a 650 amp external starting battery.
  6. Ran a multimeter between the positive battery terminal and ground.

I parked the car and covered it about a year ago and think I may have done something to disable the vehicle but am not sure. There is a large connector under the dashboard by the base of the steering column which appears to have been previously connected to something but there are no connectors within reach. The connector is yellow and about 3 inches wide with 1 row of connections. Is there soem sort of relay or switch or module that belongs here which I may have pulled out and lost a year ago?

Thanks

Reply to
1989_Mustang

Well I finally stopped laughing long enough to type. Sounds like you removed the ignition switch... With your memory issues, I suggest you refrain from such things in the future.

Reply to
351CJ

:-)

The ignition switch is connected. I repalced it about 3 years ago. I have a spare that I could swap out.

The unknwon connector is at the base (bottom) of the steering column. It is kinda the same size as the connector to the ignition switch.

I asume that no power at all would result from either a bad battery, bad ground, bad ignition switch or blown fusable link. I am not sure if the neutral safety switch on a ford will cut all power off to the car. Is there anything else in the circuit I should look for?

Thanks

Reply to
1989_Mustang

I see a big connector on mine in that location. But it is plugged into a mating connector. I don't know what it does but I do have the wiring diagrams. Fred

89 LX 5.0
Reply to
Fred V.

Maybe the next time he decides to work on his electrical system while stoned, he'll write himself a note on what he removed with a sharpie on the back of one of the many Fritos bags in the footwell....

Fred V. wrote:

Reply to
Ritz