electronic throttle?

Oh, man..... I can imagine what that must be like to work on. I can't imagine what it must cost to fix it off warranty...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Taken from the 2005 Ford PC/ED manual...... there are two "styles" of electronic throttle bodies (no mention is made of which goes to which application) but the difference is in whether the servo-motor is part of the throttle body or attached separately. The TPS is redundant... one part is negative slope and the other positive slope. The throttle pedal assembly is triple redundant..... one negative slope sensor and two positve slope sensors - the two positive slope sensors share VREF and GND circuits but have separate SIG-RTNs. No mention is made of an Idle Validation Switch as found on the diesels (which have been drive by wire for many years, though they have no throtle plate). There is no IAC and cruise control functions are through the PCM. During failsafe operation, vehicle speed will be limited to about 48 mph.

AFAIK, sensor readings are not stored in the PCM... they are simply live data - read - reacted to and discarded. The restraints control module is (again AFAIK) still the only place where crash data is stored and it takes a significant event to initiate the data storage sequence.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes... see my reply to John for some more info....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm sure that there is only one servo now... would seem senseless to have two fighting each other. I was just mentioning that the original servos that ran the cruise couldn't have dealt with this kind of use/abuse on a regular basis. The CC servo lives a pretty easy life comparatively speaking.

Good point. I'm sure they *could* do it... it's just a matter of if they do it or not.

JS

Reply to
JS

Agreed.