Elevated Engine temperature on Hot days or rush hour traffic

head gasket would more than likely make it's presence known pretty much all the time..... Some radiator shops are set up to flow test the rad, but at nearly 8 years old and 160,000 miles, your car ain't no spring chicken. In our area, it is common to see the radiator fins plugged off between the condeser and the rad (where it is difficult to see.

In your case, I would concentrate my efforts on things that might inhibit air flow through the rad at low speeds.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks for the info. The radiator seems to be the most logical problem considering air flow at low speeds. I'll have it looked at by a professional radiator shop and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again, I appreciate your input.

Reply to
tarzan

Coolant can be fine, that still doesn't mean your radiator is working good. Unless you had some regular flushes that thing is probably clogged up.

Doe the oil look clean when you change it ? is it using coolant ? (might not have a leak but the coolant could go into the oil)

Reply to
RT

Forget the useless comments about fan clutches. The stang has had electric fans for years.

I wish people would refrain from comments about a car unless they know the car.

Reply to
RT

Well, the AC DOES rob you from some power. With a lazy 3.8 that might be quite noticeable.

Reply to
RT

I had a similar problem with an 87 5 liter GT, it would run hot and eventually shut down. Turned out to be the head gasket was worn out.

Reply to
Adrian Gruber

Performance, not horsepower, and ride make the 6-cyl. experience. RPM 2000 out of a safe 5,500 at 65MPH leaves a lot of engine for cruising, as does pure highway MPG -- about 28 on mine -- for a range exceeding 400 high speed miles on a full tank.

I lost an alternator this weekend with not much warning from the battery gauge, but the impression I've drawn so far from 2000 V6 is that when it's working, everything works 100 percent right. IMHO, find an experienced mechanic you trust (there's a bit of work and luck in that all by itself), give him ownership of the maintenance of the vehicle, and then take his advice and insight seriously. What that means here: if you trust your mechanic, and he suggests working on the cooling system, go ahead and get that work done. (The shop owner who oversees work on my pony came through personal referral; the employee who actually gets into the grease, and not much of that yet, is a Mustang enthusiast himself with a restoration project in his own garage).

I'd be happy to listen to modification proposals that might yield additional horsepower without degrading fuel efficiency in the 3.8L 6-cylinder, but call it a "grocery getter" or "secretary's car", whatever, it's not a racing machine. What it is is a great ride and plenty fast through the spectrum of legal or accepted -- interesting concept -- U.S. traffic flow speeds. The class probably deserves more enthusiasm and interest than it has gotten, but the predominant sports car culture has developed around the allure of competitive power and track or combative speed at the expense of comfort, efficiency, and socially sustainable high speed.

--Jim

Reply to
Commart