Eneven preload on new gear install??

I'm installing new gears on my 2002GT and am having a problem. The new pinion does not spin smooth when the preload is applied. I get between

5 and 18 in/lb of resistance when turning the pinion. It goes up and down as I spin the pinion. Anyone know what would cause an uneven preload?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bunch of questions comin'.... are you measuring this with the cage installed? If it is, remove the cage and recheck the pinion rotating torque. the pinion bearings should have a light coat of engine oil on them when checking this.. Remember, too, that higher torque is required to "break" the pinion loose than to keep it spinning. (if you have the seal installed at this time it will also require some sort of lube as a dry seal will have measurable drag).

If the problem persists, try reseating the bearing at the head of the pinion as well as ensuring that the cups are properly seated in the housing. Reclean and reoil the bearings and try again. If the problem still persists, suspect a damaged pinion shaft.

If you had the cage installed in the first step and the problem went away with the removal of the carrier....suspect runout in either the carrier or ring gear.

HTH.

Jim Warman