Pinion Seal

Replacing the rear pinion seal in an 85 cherokee pioneer Dana 35. Problem is I cannot get the shaft nut off the yoke. My question is, what is the torque spec on this thing? Been try to spray it down with PB blaster and been hanging off my breaker bar trying to loosen it to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric Shade

Reply to
Eric Shade

Eric,

The minimum torque is 170 ft-lb. It may have been torqued on to the crush sleeve anywhere up to 500 ft-lb to attain the proper pinion preload (turning resistance on the pinion bearings). Probably ended up in the 200-250 ft-lb range.

Try a longer breaker bar or extend it with a few feet of pipe. If the bar won't do it, you'll need an impact wrench.

Some relevant notes from Dana on putting it back together:

"Torque pinion nut until all end-play is removed and the minimum wrench torque is achieved. Check torque to rotate of pinion with inch-lb (N.m) torque wrench for proper rotating torque. See Specification for proper pinion bearing preload. Continue to tighten in small increments until the proper rotating torque is achieved. Measure the preload torque frequently to avoid overtightening of the pinion nut. CAUTION: IF PRELOAD TORQUE IS EXCEEDED, A NEW COLLAPSIBLE SPACER MUST BE INSTALLED AND THE TORQUE SEQUENCE REPEATED."

"NOTE: NEW PINION SEAL WILL ADD 3 LB-IN (.34) TO THE TOTAL TORQUE TO ROTATE"

If you are not replacing the bearings with your new seal, your target pinion preload is 18 inch-lb. Pinion preload is measured with the carrier removed. If you don't want to remove the carrier, pull the axles and measure the total pinion + carrier preload before you take the nut off. Then add 3 inch-lb for your target carrier + pinion preload with the new seal.

Steve

Eric Shade wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Reply to
Eric Shade

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thank you Bill and Steve. I have Friday off so I will try it again.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Shade