2002 new ring and pinion breakin?

Having the rear end replaced again. Not sure what the final part tally will be but do know at least a ring and pinion is going in. Do you need to breakin new gears. I only remember when I did gear swaps on Mustangs years ago, I had to go through some cycle of driving and cool down for a certain amount of time. Also, would it be advisable to replace the differential fluid at a certain number of miles (like a 300-500) after installing the new parts.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Yes, the new ring and pinion will run hot for some time. Not sure about the number of miles to take it easy, maybe 1000. Try driving down the road, stop, then feel the differential. It will definitely be much hotter than it will be 5000 miles down the road. Change the fluid wouldn't hurt, but I would ask whoever installed the gears for advice. Ron

Reply to
R&B