For the Love of God Please Help me fix my 95 GT....

Hi all sorry about the over dramatic subject line but I have got to find out what is up with my Gt its driving me nuts... Here is what I got.

95 Gt Stick 83,503 miles No Mods (a K&N) Car sits a lot...

My problem is after the darn thing sits a few days I have a hard time getting it to start. I have replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the fuel pressure regulator (and yes I got the right one from the dealer.. someone warned me about there being two different ones for my car, and of course i had the one the dealership had to order..). I thought I had the problem solved but when I tried to start the car today after letting it sit for a week it was a no go... It eventually started but after several attempts. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem have I missed something?? I thought about taking it to autozone to get the codes read, but the check engine light is not on and it runs fine? Should I do it anyway? Also the car has not been tuned up in 4 years and 35,000 highway miles. I pulled one of the plugs earlier this week and it looked fine, Should I tune her up? Could that be my problem. Again the car runs fine and my fuel milage is the same.... Any suggestions?????????????

Anyway I am at my wits end....

Thanks for you time and have a good weekend...

Willy D.

Reply to
Will D.

I would scan codes before you do anything. The '95's still used EEC-IV if memory serves; these scanners cost less than $20 dollars, and it pays to have your own.

If that's clear, I'd have fuel pressure and flow checked. Normally after a few hours, the fuel lines lose pressure and excess is returned to the tank, however in your case, you may have a leak through a fuel pump check valve that lets the whole thing drain backward, requiring excessive cranking to prime the system again after a long nap.

Just a working theory. Check codes first, then have the fuel system checked out. It *may* also be a leaking injector or injector O-ring seal as well. Definitely something for a professional to check over, and I would certainly pay a good diagnostician before buying more parts that may or may not solve the problem.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

WIly, me thinks if your car sits for extended periods of time you may have bad gas or your injectors are fouled. Try draining the tank or if this is not feasable use fuel sabilizer and a can of injector cleaner.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Fuel pump is my guess. I had the same thing on my 95GT. Never figured out what it was. Seemed to be worse when it was hot outside. When I measured the fuel pressure with the engine off it would drop back pretty quick after the pump shut off. I think that's either the regulator (which you already replaced) ,the fuel pump or a leaky injector. I'd replace the fuel pump if I were you. It's not too bad to do yourself.

Rein

If it is fuel related and you are concerned about not getting enough gas to the engine after it sits for a while, try to turn the key on, hold for 5 seconds, and back off. On again, hold for 5 seconds, then off. Do this three or four times and then try to start the car.

Turning the key to on tells the fuel pump to prime and run for about 5 seconds. If you can hear the pump running, listen for a sound where the pump sounds like it's laboring (sound pitch should get lower) - this will most likely tell you when it's primed and pressurized.

If this fixes the problem, it may be one of the problems presented in other posts concerning the drainback, and most likely the fuel pump. You could use this method (if it works) to drive the car around indefinately, but it probably means the fuel pump is ready to go anyway, so it's only a matter of time...

JS

Reply to
JS