Ford 4-spd toploader vs t-5 transmission

Hello,

I have a 65 mustang fastback with a 6 cyl. automatic that I wish to convert to a 289/302 with a 4 speed manual transmission. Which trans should I use? and why!

TIA

Gene

Reply to
Gene Seach

go with a 5 speed from a mid 80's to 93 4 cylinder mustang, they are plentiful and have a lower first gear ratio than V8 version, they are strong enough to hold up behind a 5.0, if it's not abused.

Reply to
winze

I wouldn't personally recommend putting a 4-cylinder trans behind a V8 except in a financial or transportation emergency. I had a '92 4-cylinder convertible puke its stock T-5, and that was the slowest car I'd ever driven. I got passed by a dump truck from a standing start up-hill. I'd like to think it didn't have the power to break its T-5, but somehow it did.

If you want the gear ratio, swap the rear end gears. Stick with drivetrain parts that are less likely to explode the first time you really hit the go pedal.

Just my opinion though....

JS

Reply to
JS

There's also the T Bird turbo coupe 4 cyl T5 that has even lower first gear. FWIW I've driven a pretty much original 87 lx 5.0 that ran high 8's in the 1/8 mile on drag tires with a 4 cyl. trans and it lived, the rear had 3.27 gears installed but they felt like 4.10's with the 4 cyl. transmission. just lucky I guess.

Reply to
winze