Ford and General Motors will work together...

...to develop a six speed transmission. An automatic, I assume. I heard this on the news the other day. Interesting!. The only reason I can see them working to gather is to compete against the foreign makes.

John

Reply to
jriegle

They are already working together by crossdocking their parts deliveries. Instead of Ford and GM having separate trucks delivering Parts to their dealerships they have combined there inventory in one trailer thus the truck making deliveries to both Ford and GM. Supposedly saving them money.

Doglips

Reply to
MrDoglips

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger
6 years ago, I said that 3 companies would end up controlling the 3 major facets of everyday life.

AOL Microsoft Clear Channel Communications

Aol owns ICQ, Netscape, works closely with Microsoft. They have a good corner on internet industry. Then they joined with Time Warner...nothing but open road ahead for them now.

Microsoft...you know about that one.

Clear Channel...1200 radio stations in the U.S. alone, 78% of the market share in available concert venue contracts...

So, imagine if AOL/Time Warner and Clear Channel combined...

So far, two of the three have been sued or are in the process of being sued for anti-trust and monopolization on a select industry.

Just my two pennies.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

GM cast the first AOD automatic transmission cases for Ford. Many GM cars had Ford three speed manual transmissions in them, including the 67 400 Firebird. GM didn't have a three speed that could handle the torque. Both GM and Ford used Chrysler 4X4 components. They all trade stuff.

Al

Reply to
Big Al
2.3Sleeper opined in news:c67p91$8ibrn$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

STOP RIGHT THERE!

AOL?

You need to pay closer attention to business things. EVERYTHING AOL touches turns to dog-doo. Including Time Warner. In prelim divorce proceedings as we write.

And I have been saying THAT for the same "last six years", current events make me "righter than you" ;)

AOL will end up in the dustbin of 'net history UNLESS they can do a miracle.

And to do that, they would have to get rid of Steve Case and all his moron syncophants.

The 2 things about the "Information Industry" are

Content:

I pick Fox/NewsCorp over Clear Channel anyday... They may have a ton of Radio, but it's Rupert that has the vision. Right now... Disney and Viacom/CBS are in self-destruct mode. Time Warner is now a fading darkhorse but MAY recover once they dump AOL and the "Jane Fonda" mentality. IF they align further with MS, then NBC may pick up some.

Connectivity:

This is too broad a category.. but ATT is out.. but it's ALSO too far out of MS expertise. Look for SBC to come back into the cable biz... Comcast is an outsider but still a possibility.

And about "Hardware"..

"Red Army, Inc" is closing in on all of us.. maybe I should say "PacRim" Inc.

Look at the inroads made by Heil (appliances) in just the last 5 years.

In another 5, they and their asian competitors will have wiped out Whirlpool.

Commodity hardware ($20 and under) that we buy is almost ALL made in China.

Strangely, I think Ford and GM are in pretty good shape.. but MB and Chrysler are in a little trouble.

But, again, SE Asia looms.

Kia has everyone in the biz worried.. what will it be like when China starts building cars?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

As more and more development becomes outsourced and standardized, in the future you may think of your car in the same manner you think of your PC. Perhaps you bought it from Dell, but it contains no Dell built parts. It has an Intel CPU, Maxtor storage, whatever and etc. Dell puts the package together, sells and services it. Car companies are becoming more and more like this.

Reply to
Jim S.

You can't teach them all. AOL will continue to grow...even with the demise of their marriage. Young kids and the elderly will keep them in business for a long time to come I believe.

Might be what you pick, but if you are in an area where 6 out of 7 stations are owne by them...what can you do besides spend money on satelitte radio?

Seems to me the only thing holding Disney together of late has been Pixar.

I don't think they will recover.

Yes, ATT is out...SBC is coming back in a big way. Don't be surprised if Sprint disappears in the next 5 years.

I have heard some good things about Comcast.

I am still a bit leary about GM.

Minivans under $10k with a 20 year warranty???

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

"Big Al" wrote

I remember when Rolls Royce and Mercedes Benz used Turbo Hydramatics. Also, no one who didn't used American AC gear had actually functional AC.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out
2.3Sleeper opined in news:c69f34$9qcdr$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

Excuse... I should have pointed out that they are in process of doing this; BUT...

Check this:

NOte that middle of last year, the loss of customers was expected to be just over a million; actually nearly 2 million.

Yeah they are profitable but they'd have to be absolute idiots NOT to be. The BIGGEST giveaway of their lack of acumen was the free cd-rom shotgun marketing technique. Whatever beancounter approved that should have been fired.

And AOL's content premium is really only in two products: GAmes and Instant messaging.

I know several people who still cant understand how I can IM AOL users without AOL. And that is the only reason they keep it. They dislike the cost.

Can you "Yahoo"? Yahoo is doing VERY well... on the rise. Esp the link with SBC... and the only thing that keeps Yahoo from "Fronting" Roadunner is the TW tie-in

And yep..

Look at how fast Chinese product quality is rising. Whatever Kia can do, China Motors can duplicate cheaper still.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic
180 Out opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

And dont forget Jaguar.

A BIG market for the old GM Frigidaire Div A-6 (I believe)... And Lincoln used it too

But remember the old York and Tecumseh compressors?

Took the Japanese Nippondenso to finally knock them out.... because then, GM had to come out with cheaper smaller units.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Pretty much 18-wheelers are now.

Wulf