I have my engine out right now

I have my engine out of my 1988 Mustang GT right now getting it rebuilt. Should I get some headers right now to install in it as it will be easier then when it goes back in the car? What else do you guys recommend doing now until later when the engine is back in the car?

Reply to
TheBigItaly50

Inspect your rack and pinion, accessories, all lines, etc. Also, clean and repaint your engine bay. If you truly have enough time...I would clear everything out and fill all the holes in and then repaint the engine bay.

When my engine was out, I didn't get that opportunity...I really wish I had taken the time now.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Rein

Do _NOT_ re-use your old motor mounts. If you do you may end up like me... Punch the gas hard and your motor will develop an intimate relationship with both your hood and crossmember. I ended up finegaling the damned motor on a jack for 2 and a half hours before I got both new motor mounts lined up right and every bolt in. Woulda been a cinch to do it a couple weeks ago when I put the new motor in!

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

On that note, if any kind of power is going back into the motor, I recommend solid motor mounts.. Just my personal experience, and whatever you do...don't use solid tranny mounts.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

headers,cam,intake,roller rockers,better heads,HD pump shaft,rod bolts,clutch,etc.

Reply to
winze

convertable motor mounts. bthere much stronger than the stock gt ones.

Jeff

orangespawn50

If you have the money to do it, then yes, absolutely. The stock headers are absolute crap, and if you install new ones before dropping the engine it it'll take a multi-hour job and turn it into a 10 minute affair. Well worth it.

Aside from things others have suggested, I'd say if you can afford it, take this time to install a rear disc brake conversion kit. I installed the Stainless Steel Brakes one, and the portion that involved swapping in a different master cylinder and finagling with brake line adaptors would have been so much easier if the engine had been out. Would have saved me a couple of hours and a lot of back pain. Also, since your car isn't operating anyhow, the rather lengthy amount of time it takes to install the kit won't matter so much since you won't be able to drive it around anyhow. Keep in mind though that those kits require an awful lot of work... you have to remove the axles, which is a pretty daunting task if you've never done anything of that sort. It's an expensive swap, but completely worth the money.

Basically, think about any major task that would require the car to be out of service for quite some time, since it will be anyhow. It's always good to maximize the productivity during down time if you can.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

If headers are in your plans for the car, then by all means yes.

Reply to
Tungsten

New headers by all means, especially if you are going for the equal length version. (Although you might want to stay with the unequal length style FRPP replacement, if you want to keep your torque curve flat. Don't reuse your stock part if you can avoid it, too many compromises in the original design.)

Reply to
Ironrod