Ford's New V8 Going To Rock You Like A Hurricane!

Hmm, you might be diappointed then. Word around Ford is that Hurricane is truly just an extension of the Modular family: larger bore spacing, shorter deck, but essentially a new generation of the Modular motors. I don't know for sure, but right now it's my impression that that means more than one cam, around 3 valves per cylinder at minium, and VCT/VVT. I recall a story from year ago speculating on an OHV setup but that wasn't really the case as far as I know. According to what I have heard, this a "stretched' out Mod motor. The length has been increased to widen the bore spacing and allow the deck height to lower a tad. So, dimensionally, there will be a little bit of extra room vertically with less room longintudinally and a slight reduction in overall width.

The quote I heard was, "it's set up to fit into anything that accepts the 5.4 Modular today" and "it's supposed to provide some more displacement in a volume similar to the 5.4". The extra bore spacing is enough to support over 7.0L with, I think, a stroke roughly equivalent to the current 5.4, maybe a tad shorter stroke.

It will easily match anything anyone else is producing right now, but I'm wagering it's still got that bugaboo some of you guys don't like: overhead cams :). Personally, I'm looking forward to a 427 cammer ;).

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

Dan,

I personally don't have a problem with a cammer. I've driven a number of mod motored cars and really like the 4.6. My issue is cost. While I love the current Terminator Cobra, I'd be even fonder of them if it was priced like the Mach 1s. I think ditching the blower and intercooler and swapping in a bigger inch, normally aspirated motor would make that price possible. So I thinking/hoping for a 6.2 liter 4 valve Cobra, and 6.2 liter 2 or 3 valve GT.

As for which way Ford is going to go, just before the Hurricane got canceled/postponed, from what I heard the debate pushrod OHC debate was still raging/undecided. We'll see...

Whatever Ford decides, I feel more cubes is win for us enthusiasts.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Patrick,

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and I agree that enthusiasts would benefit. Yet Ford has had at least three larger displacement motors that they could have put in the Mustang/Cobra: the 351, the 5.4, and

7.0(?, V10). They did two of these in low production homologation vehicles and one in a single concept car. And all of those occurred during a period that a stronger competitor pony car was on the market. If they didn't do it then what's different now? What will get them to rethink that model? Maybe the existence of two alternative pony cars and a clear slow down in sales when they hit market would make it happen. I dunno, though, it's hard to count on that.

Additionally, now that SVT has closed shop there's no longer a division dedicated to an exclusive line of performance products to put the motor in. The only hope, then, is that, like you pointed out, one of the niche models, like the Mach I, Boss, Bullitt, etc., gets that motor and that they produce enough of them to keep the price down. But without SVT products drawing a premium price, I have to wonder if the niche products won't get more expensive in the future.

I like the idea. I just don't see the incentive for Ford to make it happen. Yet :).

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

My only recollection of having worked on 427 side-oiler/"cammer" engines is that you frequently had to deal with adjusting the valves. That wasn't a major issue "back in the day" if you were racing. But for the average Joe, I always liked the 428CJ since it had hydraulic lifters...making it a bit more user friendly for people who didn't like popping the valve covers every other weekend. 8-)

I keep threatening to resurrect a 428cj engine I rescued from a totaled Torino by putting it in a Cobra kit. I guess I should do that before you need a home mortgage to fill the tank.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1143512470.740909.25030 @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

And Ford didn't realize this before they let the cat out of the bag? Either way, it's the SOS - a day late and a dollar short.

That logic holds true for any hipo vehicle, let alone the sport truck. If anything, trucks are more popular than ever.

So why can GM put out something like the Trailblazer SS and Ford stumbles over the Adrenaline faux pas?

I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now I can wander over to my Dodge dealer and look at a 6.1 liter Charger or Magnum.

Reply to
Joe

Sadly, I never had the opportunity to work on an original 427 Cammer motor. I got to tweak on a 429 Boss for a few summers, but that's the most exotic Ford motor I've worked on from that period. When that broke we talked about tracking down a 428CJ for the very reasons you listed. But we never did :P.

Fortunately, though, should it happen, I'll only have to read about those issues ;). If Hurricane is SOHC 3-valve like I anticipate, and it gets punched to 427 CID (which shouldn't be hard to do), then this new generation "427 Cammer" won't require that level of attention. The Modular families OHC systems are very stable once the heads are assembled and there's usually no adjustments that need to be done other than making sure torque specs are met :).

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

I think this time the competition has the potential for stronger sales. The previous F-bodies, while better performers than the Mustang, were sales duds. This time around both the Challenger and new Camaro have some real buzz surrounding them. I give Ford credit for planning ahead.

I think the opposite might happen. Without SVT, and its exclusive badge, I think Ford's performance vehicles will become more affordable and numerous. SVT always tried to put that exclusive, low production spin in their marketing so they could charge premium dollars for what are really entry/mid level cars. I'd like to see them go back to the low-buck LX 5-liter concept: top dog motor available in the no/low frills model.

The incentive is market share. Ford has had two perenial segment leaders: F150 & Mustang. At this point in time they really can't afford to let either slip. They must keep them both competitive in every way. With the horsepower wars showing no sign of letting up, a bigger inch motor is the way to do it.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

They kind of got caught with only a having a 5.4 to play with, like they did back in '93 when GM upped the ante with the 275 HP, LT1 powered F-bodies and Ford only had the smaller 302/5-liter available for the Mustang.

Yes, in hindsight the choice was clear.

Yes, that's a good thing... those are neat cars! But just remember Chrysler wasn't doing much of anything for us in the 80s and 90s. At least Ford has carried the performance torch, maybe not brightly all the time, but I have to give them credit for never losing grip of it during those times.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

History is great and all, but the bottom line is this: What do I see when I walk into a Ford, GM, and DC showroom this weekend? Which showroom would I linger in the longest? I don't think it would be Ford...

Reply to
Joe