Fuel line depressurization

I need to change the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket on my 89 Mustang LX (4-cyl) and the manual says I need to depressurize the fuel system. I the fuel cut-off switch in the trunk does not work. It only works if I disconnect the switch from the electronic connector. How can I be sure the fuel system is not pressurized before I begin? I've heard that leaving the fuel cap off for a couple of hours will make sure, but I would like to hear from people who have a little more experience than the person I heard that from.

TIA, Hawkeye65

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Hawkeye65

Fuel cap is not involved. Fuel pump pressurizes fuel rail and return line, fuel filter, not tank, and you want the fuel pump off, and to stay off. Disconnect battery. The fuel rail stays pressurized for about 15 min(?) after you turn off ignition sw. With ignition sw off, (fuel pump off) and fuel rail still pressurized and you can still disconnect a fuel line or the return line, but you might get some gas sprayed on you but you can put a rag over it and the gas will get caught by it, not much gas at all, 1/6 cup max. You can also depressurize it at the fuel filter, loosen one end. Or just wait about an hour. Best to have the battery disconnected during all this. You don't want the fuel pump to come on with the fuel system open.

5.0 1989 ex cop car, nice and fast 5.0 1993 ex cop car w 8# keene bell blower even faster
Reply to
mauimary

Remove the fuel pump relay or disconnect the inertia switch.... attempt to start the car - it may run momentarily and die...... then, after that, just crank and not start... If the car continues to run, something is wrong.

Reply to
<mechanic

s Provider ----

corporate packages that have ac=cess to 100,000+ newsgroups What worked for me in the past is to check the manual, and pull the fuse for the fuel pump, then crank, start and run until it dies. I was always unsure of myself working with the fuel rails and the Schrader valve, I learned recently how to, and it is ABSOLUTELY not that bad. (I'm not completely sure if it's the same on the 4cyl).

Look on the fuel rail. You will see a valve that looks (a little) like a bicycle tire valve. Go to Pep Boys and buy the Fuel Line De- pressurizing tool, or take a small screwdriver and a rag to catch the overflow and press the pin in the center of the valve in, until nothing more runs out. This is the 'by the book' way, it's not that hard, and it seems like running your engine until it 'runs out of fuel' is just a little too harsh.

Reply to
Jim C

What worked for me in the past is to check the manual, and pull the fuse for the fuel pump, then crank, start and run until it dies. I was always unsure of myself working with the fuel rails and the Schrader valve, I learned recently how to, and it is ABSOLUTELY not that bad. (I'm not completely sure if it's the same on the 4cyl).

Look on the fuel rail. You will see a valve that looks (a little) like a bicycle tire valve. Go to Pep Boys and buy the Fuel Line De- pressurizing tool, or take a small screwdriver and a rag to catch the overflow and press the pin in the center of the valve in, until nothing more runs out. This is the 'by the book' way, it's not that hard, and it seems like running your engine until it 'runs out of fuel' is just a little too harsh.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the one about depressurizing with the valve on the fuel rail.

Thanks again to all, Hawkeye65