Fuel tank to fuel "filler" seal

OK. I replaced the damn fuel pump in my 2000GT. Fired right up. Went to fill up the tank and it appears the seal around the intake, or whatever you call the pipe the you fill the tank with gas connects to the tank, is bad.

Is this just a grommet type seal? I felt around it and it feels like it is torn around 75% of it. Mean on 25% feels like it goes inside the tank cavity.

Please tell me I don't have to take the tank out again to get to this. Is there an easier way to get the "filler" tube out of the tank, replace the grommet, and put it back together. I am ready to light a match on this thing as it leaks the $35 worth of gas I just put in it.

Frustrated, Shane

Reply to
Shane

Wow that sucks! I did my pump by just lowering the other end of the tank. Are you sure it's not leaking from the hat seal? That happened to me.

Reply to
GILL

Whats the hat seat? I see it leaking from where the seal go into the tank. If I move it the gas runs out quicker.

Reply to
Shane

Hat seaL The top access plate gasket.

Reply to
GILL

Nope not that.

Reply to
Shane

Looks from this write-up you can replace that grommet without dropping the tank.

GILL

I saw this post. I can't tell what year. Reading the post it seems some years had problems doing it this way. I wonder if it's safe to drive it until the tank is not as full in case I need to drop it a bit. I suppose once it gets lower than the grommet it will stop leaking and be safe.

Reply to
Shane

No it's not safe to drive around with gas leaking! Either jack the right side up so the hole is above the fuel, or if it's a really full tank, get a small hose (one of those clear ones about the size of your index finger) and siphon to a five gallon jug.

Reply to
GILL