2005 Ford Escape Fuel Filler Tube Flapper Valve.

I posted this on alt.autos.ford and got no response. Not sure why but I just thought I'd try here:

I have an 05 Escape and noticed that the flapper valve is missing in the fuel filler tube. Not sure there was one there to begin with. Should there be a flapper in the filler tube? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I never noticed if there was one there. If the valve broke off, it would probably be stuck in the tube and maybe the reason why it is extremely difficult to fill the tank.

Reply to
mstrspy

Drive by a local Ford dealer and look at another 05 b-4 you sweat it. JP

Reply to
blazerman

The "flapper valve" that I think you're referring to isn't really a valve. Is it where you stick the gas nozzle in? If so, it just prevents junk from getting into the gas tank.

And yes, if you did have one at one time but don't now, it could be the reason it takes a while to fill it up. It may be lodged in the fill pipe. To remove it will probably require removing the gas tank.

Personally I wouldn't bother with putting the flapper back in, or even getting a new one.

Reply to
Bob M.

OMG - nooooooo.... I have a 2005 escape and it is missing the flapper valve too. It must be some collector is running around at night taking them for his or her collection. Or maybe they just don't come with one......or maybe it is a factory option with just certain models?...

Reply to
BSAKing

Thanks for your response. I guess the Escape never had a flapper valve. I'm trying to figure out why the hell it is so difficult to fill the tank these days. The gas pump shuts off frequently; takes a long time to fill the tank. I thought that maybe there was a flapper valve that broke off and was blocking the filler tube.

Reply to
mstrspy

Reply to
mstrspy