Gas is now 82.9 cents per litre

goes any higher it's goin to make me drive the stang less. why is it goin so high for?

joe

Reply to
JoeJoe

greed.... OPEC cuts production to raise the price per barrel, major oil then tacks on an additional cost they label as "increased production and refinement expenses"... then they tack on an additional transportation and delivery charge (because it costs more to buy and refine then it costs more for the trucks that carry it)... then they have to give the stations a pittance for selling it.... all the while knowing what their profit margin must be...

Of course with the increased cost, that means higher taxes (depending upon location- some is flat per gallon cost, some is based on percent).

And where does it begin? actually with the consumer. OPEC can see, for example, how many planes the US (a major consumer) has flying and knows how much fuel that consumes; same for trucks, tanks, etc; and they know how much the US uses for summer travel.... these guys have all the numbers crunched into BIG computers.

They may not think like we do, but they ain't stupid...

And the price per barrel is good leverage to get the US allies to reconsider their positions because the people are complaining to their governments which destabalizes their positions....

Of course, if you ask any Kerry supporter, they'll tell you they have proof thet President Bush made a deal with >goes any higher it's goin to make me drive the stang less. why is it goin so >high for?

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger
** goes any higher it's goin to make me drive the stang less. why is it goin so ** high for?

Because we are willing to pay it, that's why.

And the higher the price, the more people seem to waste it lately. Today, on the way home from the boneyard, another piggy SUV tailgated me for a bit, then floored it to pass, then swung back into my lane, then exited the freeway

--right in front of me. As I passed, I laughed at his stupidity and gluttony as he swung the big #1 up at me. Mierda por cabazas, chimacho!

Fuel is so expensive now because the majority of Americans are gluttonous, ignorant and foolish. Every backward-hat dufus is buying huge fuel-swilling

6-mpg. SUV's as fast as they hit the lot, then drive like 2-yr. olds. As our demand for fuel skyrockets, so will the price, and don't expect it to EVER come down.

All I can do is LAUGH at these buffoons as they fly by my 35-mpg. Chevy

4-banger beater car. Oh yeah, it's ugly: peeling paint, dents, mismatched body parts and steel wheels sans hub caps. Fact is, I can park it anywhere and no one wants to steal it, it gets great mileage, and it runs like new. It's the prefect $300 commuter beater, and those who know better recognize what it is, and why cars like this are so desirable.

Saw a great bumper sticker the other day:

"Fight Back! SLOW DOWN!"

Brains are in short supply these days. Just ask executive members of OPEC.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Actually Kerry didn't make the accusation. It was made by Bob Woodward in his book. Carter, Clinton, Reagan, Bush1, Bush 2 have all asked for Opec to keep the price of oil down. Bush2 has asked so that it doesn't stall the economic recovery in the U.S. as well as around the world. Remember that the Arab states are not the only oil producers. It's just that they are better organized.

Reply to
pete

fuel-swilling

Reply to
jriegle

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger
** Welcome to the cheap beater club! I have a 89 Escort I bought for 500. Mine ** sounds like it is in a bit better shape, but I get only 23mpg city and 28 ** highway.

28 Hwy isn't bad at all. The front bench seat on mine is falling apart fast; I may need to make a Pick-n-Pull run this weekend and find another one. Last weekend, it was the E-brake release that died; replaced it with a boneyard unit for less than $1.00. And I think I'll have to spray-paint the wheels again; they're getting rusty.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

can you say "war"&"George Bush" I'll make a bet, If gas doesn't come down by the end of summer G.W.B. will not be relected!

drive,drive,drive, enjoy it while you can!

Reply to
winze

jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger
** Talk about deja vu.... the driver's side bucket seat back just brok on ** my Escort and I was just thinking of a trip to U Pull It.... LOL

I spotted a really PLUSH seat out of a full-sized Buick that I might try to snag. The color doesn't match, but what the hell. It's blue, and with the existing red interior and white exterior, it's as American as it will ever get.

And I need a few more parts to complete my Tailgater Deterence System. I can't WAIT to hit the button on that sucker for the first time.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Your an evil bastard JD, ya know that :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike
82.9 cents a liter? That's it? Right now in Gambo newfoundland the price is a little over 91 cents a liter...Right now in St. John's the Price is about 88cents a liter. I'm not even going to have a look at Labrador. Last year in Labrador it went over a dollar a liter.

check it out for yourselves at

emtecca

jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Not knowing anyones age/financial status, I'm a baby-boomer.... I drive what suits my lifestyle and (grudgingly) pay what the pump says. I don't pay much attention to what my MPG is other than noticing if my mileage is consistent. With 2 4X4s in the driveway, I can hardly be accused of econo-box syndrome

8^) .... The new scooter made dreams of a Mustang a thing of the past.

Just to p*ss everyone off...... the year was 1968. I bought my first Mustang ( a 64.5 convertible complete with the 5 bolt 289/225 horse and a generator instead of an alternator) for the princely sum of $2200 CA. I added the pony seats from a donor car and then set about the cars demise.... Being an apprentice mechanic, I attacked the motor first..... solid lifter cam with lobes much bigger than they needed to be.... cavernous intake manifold and a double squirt Holley.... shaved the heads, three angled the valves and glued on some headers and promptly destroyed the C4..... no problem..... I found a toploader donor. BTW, I never check the mileage real close on it after I finished messin' with the mill....... if I went gentle it was prolly 8MPG (imperial gallons are bigger than US gallons)... but I couldn't expect much more with a 1900 rpm idle speed.

Long story made short - about the time I met Mrs mechanic, I sold the car for $1000 - because, way back then, it was JUST ANOTHER OLD F*CKING CAR. If I seem to be down on some of the youngsters, just remember how I screwed myself out of one of the ultimate collectibles..... and I haven't even mentioned the 62 Impala 2 dr HT, the 64 Poncho ragtop, the 72 XR7 ragtop (compleate with 351C 4V), the 53 TR3 ( a biatch in the winter).... It sucks to be old.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Being a double nickle, I empathise.... bought a 65 Fastback 289 HP for $1000 in 1970 when I got home from 'nam. Sold it in 1971 thanks to the heartthrob for $500 to an uncle who never did register it... just let the chickens squat in it. The marriage lasted 13 yrs.... One of my cousins is now driving the pony. It lasted longer than the marriage. Heck, it lasted longer than the 2nd marriage. And the 65 FB I just bought.... $9K as is, plus an estimated $9k in restmods. And forget the 72 CobraJet, the 56 Crown Victoria, the MG Midget, the 64 Galaxie

500, the 54 Ford, the 32 Ford coupe, or the 72 Nova Hatchback.... and now I'm gett>Not knowing anyones age/financial status, I'm a baby-boomer.... I drive what

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Same age, less illustrious history. First car was a '58 Fiat 600 which I overpaid $75 for; shouln't have paid more than $50, but I was young. After I blew three head gaskets on that thing, I invested a reasonable $50 in a '55 Chevy 4-door. Great car with a bulletproof I-6. Next was a '64 MG-B which I bought for $250 and sold for $250 a year later plus a Nikon SLR. He got bad brakes and my modified Lucas electrics. The camera still works; I doubt the MG does. After that, I picked up a '53 Cadillac for $200. This is the only car I truly regret not keeping; it had hydraulic everything. Windows, seats, even antenna! And you could tune the radio with a foot-button on the floor; not to mention two-speed parking lights. Yeah, and that 4-speed automatic was the smoothest-shifting transmission I've ever experienced. What a car! Somewhere in there, I acquired a '64 VW which blew it's engine but still managed to get me home, somehow.

Since then, it's been a '68 350 LeMans, a '70 Vega, a '72 Pinto (never got to experience the pleasure of a rear-end explosive collision), a '74 Impala SW (talk about land-yachts!), and then my first new cars:

An '88 Nova (chevy-badged Corolla), '91 Storm (best use of interior space due to it's innovative hatchback design), '91 Tracker (best 4WD to-date, all things considered), and my '94 V-8 Rio Red Mustang.

The Nova and the Tracker were for the wife; the Storm and the Mustang were for me. I really liked the Mustang when I bought it and still do.

To keep this on-topic, my '94 with the V-8 302 gets 22 mpg average and 30 mpg on the highway, unless I put my foot in it. When I put my foot it in it, I can usually smoke those pretenders with their hi-HP, Lo-torque engines. My smoke comes out the back tires, of course--as God intended.

doc

doc

Reply to
doc

Amen! And AMEN! There is something wrong with smoke coming off the front tires.... Why it's plain uncivilized!!!! Not to mention un-American!!!!

Yeah, I did forget the very first car... Morris M>Same age, less illustrious history. First car was a '58 Fiat 600 which I

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger
** >And I need a few more parts to complete my Tailgater Deterrence System. I ** >can't WAIT to hit the button on that sucker for the first time. ** ** Your an evil bastard JD, ya know that :-)

I already have a T-shirt picked out for this special occasion. It reads 'Wise Ass' across the front. The perfect conversation opener when pulled over by police.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Make sure not to only think of little stuff for cheap highway-beaters. A V6 Park Avenue is a boat but will get over 25mpg on the highway. And you could probably fit a big-screen TV in it if you tried, too. Comfy stuff, and tons of room in the engine bay. It's fun having a giant V6 boat as a daily beater. The plushness almost makes you forget about performance cars. What would anyone do without dual-climate controls or power everything in their beater? lol. I hauled tree branches in a Park Ave one time because it had 200k on it and scratched paint and who cared, but it was still a great ride from the driver's seat.

Reply to
Brad

Well, it's oscillating (as always) in Ontario Canada between $0.63 and $0.799 per litre. Over the course of a few days, as always. I try to hit it on the down days.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard