GM Talks Camaro

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:56:10 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE" wrote something wonderfully witty:

And that was the big issue. The chassis, and its associated suspension was developed for the underdeveloped Australian road infrastructure. Americans are used to an auto with some better road manners then it presented. Especially at the 30k+ price range. Add in the missing styling cues, minimal add campaign and what do you really expect? "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship." -- Alexander Tyler

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Joe,

Not sure if you know, but DC is asayting there'll be no V6 Challengers, only 8s. Which, will likely mean a lower-production/higher-priced car. So I will be surprised if we see a base Challenger going for anything less than $30K. But we'll see...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1155606860.502603.80370 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Challengers,

Hadn't heard that (not that I've been actively looking), but that implies that the car will be a bit more "exclusive" than the Camaro & Mustang. Sounds like DC isn't directly competing, but aiming for more of the hi-po, hi-income crowd. At any rate, it should be interesting to see what all these makers actually come out with.

Reply to
Joe

If DC holds true to form, the cars will be heavily discounted. Currently they have the "Employee Price" plus promotion going on and you can get some heavy discounts on Chragers etc.

Reply to
freak

And it's surprising to me. I mean the V6 is already offered in their LX sedan line -- 300, Magnum and Charger -- why they are not planning to offer it in a base Challenger is crazy, IMO. If they're trying to make the Challenger "special" it would seem a V6 with maybe a little power pack/20-25 hp bump (ala Shelby GT-H/Shelby GT) would be a neat offering for those who'd like the car but would also like lower insurance rates, better mileage & a lower price. But who knows, maybe in the end they'll end up doing a V6 Challenger and, HOPEFULLY, they'll wise up and fit the Challenger's 6-speed manual in a few Magnums/Chargers/300s. Now wouldn't THAT be sweet?!

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1155689088.113153.154880 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Agreed on every point, Patrick. But I wonder if we're thinking about this all wrong. Dodge has a specific marketing scheme for their lineup, and perhaps a "no-V6" Challenger fits in somewhere that we don't know about yet.

Along the same lines, it's possible that DC isn't offering a stick on their Hemi cars because they're saving that for the Challenger. Who knows

- maybe a car like the Challenger was part of the plan from the beginning and they've simply waited until now to tell us about it.

Whatever the case, I think the Challenger is going to be one bad-ass car. It would fit right into Dodge's SRT philosophy.

Joe

Some sort of master plan, huh? I don't know, Joe. Personally, I think these decisions are coming from the same group who devised the goofy Dr. Z advertisements.

I agree the Challenger is going to be a neat car. And I like it! But, for me, this "pony car" that weighs nearly 2-tons, while definately hitting the target with the looks and the power, is, IMO, still missing the bull's eye. (Yeah, and I think the same about the GT500 and GTO.)

Why o why can't they offer a new muscle car that doesn't press the scales down past 3,200-3,300? Just think of it... a light car like our Fox Mustangs with a modern Hemi, LS2 or S/C'd 5.4 liter under the hood...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

LOL! Those ads are the pits. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Yeah, all of today's hi-po cars are porkers compared to yesteryear. I'd imagine that a lot of the weight comes from the safety features and electronics.

In that weight category you'd have to DIY or fork out big bucks to a specialty manufacturer.

OTOH, the combos you mentioned make for some pretty cool projects... ;)

I'd love to drop a 6.1 Hemi in the Dak, but I don't think it would fit...

Joe