GT500 Road Test

Joe wrote:

LOL! A little anticipation never hurts anyone. Just tell him my last dyno pull showed 460 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels starting well under 2,500 rpm. If that doesn't make him drool then nothing will. ;)

They need to design a few new goodies to make it happen. The fact is though that the hp and torque levels are really getting beyond what FWD can productively use, IMO. Torque steer, weight transfer to the rear reducing traction for acceleration and poor overall steering feel are working against FWD. This is why the luxury market and mid size and up are moving to RWD. I don't think all small cars should be RWD but a handful could carve out a nice little niche.

He just read the torque figure @ 2500 and dribbled all over the place. :) Seriously, we'll talk in a year or so. The LX will be due for a complete rebuild within a few years, and the KB with all the goodies would be perfect for the new 302 crate I want to put in. As you know, the big difference will be the AOD backing it up. So far I think I like the LenTechs.

I fully agree with you about FWD. The power levels these days are about at the limit for any degree of sanity during hard acceleration. I'd love to see the whole power mode we seem to be in nowadays move to RWD. Once the Japanses start, there'll be no stopping the trend.
Joe wrote:

KBs and auto trannies are a great match. Actually, I have the heads and lower intake in the package I intend to sell. They have had the hell ported out of them for high rpm airflow. All you really need is a short block that will allow about an 8.7:1 compression ratio. With the KB you don't use the upper intake manifold. Here's a pick for him to study:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/engine3a.jpg

It is coming, IMO. Once these kids that have been weened on FWD get a hold of a nice balanced RWD smaller car with some decent power and torque they will convert immediately. Our son drove a Nissan 240SX for a year and now has a Mazda MX-6 and really wants a small RWD car again. Trouble is there is nothing with more than two seats that is affordable. Ford could make the replacement chassis of of the current Fusion RWD and it would be a home run. I believe a small, affordable RWD will materialize within the next 5-7 years.
<snip>

Got it - thanks.
<snip>

Hope it's sooner than that...
Michael

My neighbour has an SL65. 700+ torque. I've never liked Mercedes but this thing looks insane standing still. I've seen it only once on the road and the guy was driving about 15mph in a 30mph. Traffic was backed up behind him, me right behind in my 5.0. I don't give a rat's ass about Vettes or Vipers, but this thing looked so cool... understated and cool. Check it out. $180K to get into one. http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=SL65
That said, I love the new Mustang 500. Nice car. I would buy one, but am waaay too cheap.
Brad
BradandBrooks wrote:

I have seen that car and it is gorgeous. I also saw the SLR McLaren (the $750k model) at the DC car show last year. Now that car was incredible. Here's some links to a few pictures I took there:

That last statement however is the *real* kicker here as the GT500 is not a car in the mid-40's itself, at least not for the forseeable future. I was in 2 different Ford shops over the past week buying an '06 Expedition for the wife in hopes of improving my return on some oil stocks I have :-).....Anyway, I saw a total of 4 GT 500's and 3 Roush Stage 3's during my visits. The first location had 1 GT500 vert with a sticker of $48,500 and a "Market Adjustment" of $25K ....They had it on Ebay at the time and ended up not hitting the reserve with a final bid of $61,705. (Item 200036841657)
The location place where we bought our vehicle had 3 more (one coupe and 2 verts) each with a $15K "Market Adjustment" to the sticker price. They were selling the Stage 3's at the Roush sticker which ran around $51k.
Looking at Ebay's completed auction, most of the ones that actually sold have been going for ~$60K
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, but at $60-$75K, I think IMHO one could modify a stock GT to outperform the beast and still have plenty o' cash left over for other toys..
KW

I haven't seen any around me, but I haven't checked more than a couple dealerships... big ones though. My guess is they were pre-sold to people with more money than sense.

It's not a 60-75K car, period.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in KW wrote:

It's not even a mid-$40k car either.

However it's MSRP is just under $41K. ($40,930 on edmunds) Invoice is $37K.
It's probably a bit over priced considering where Ford stopped with it, but it's not horrible considering what a GT ends up once it's optioned out.
The problem with the GT500 is that it's on dealer allotments thusly the stealerships are price gouging because there are enough stupid people in the world who will pay $60K for it. When a dealership is only going to be able to sell 2 of them because they can't get more than that and neither can the other Ford dealers, they can afford to let it sit until someone stupid enough walks in the door. They don't really have to worry about everyone going to the next town over and buying it from someone else like they do with most models. A GT500 for between sticker and MSRP like any other Ford isn't horrid.
Just to compare, the BMW 335i is $40,600 MSRP and invoice of $37,350. So it's right there price wise, but it should be like any other car. And I can get it in dark green ;) Then again, I've never dealt with a BMW dealer... they could be worse than Ford dealers for all I know.
Decent 1/4 mile time my ass!That thing is a big time waist of money!You can get a saleen for half the money and crush its 1/4 mile time with less power! Also Mustang and Fast Fords tested two mustang gts.One had a procharger the other had a kenne bell,both were running 11 lbs of boost and had nothing more then exhaust and fuel injectors.They were making 500 hp and running low 11 second times.You can accomplish this with about $6000 in mods to a stock GT.
cperrotta wrote:

Until those powder formed rods in the GT engine bend. ;) I agree though, for the price of a GT and $10k in mods you can have a stock GT500 killer. Trouble is that throwing a KB blower on a GT500 will likely net you 700 rwhp/rwtq. That is where those forged engine parts in the GT500 pay big dividends. Add forged rods and pistons to a GT engine and things get interesting again.
Michael Johnson, PE wrote:

This is true.As a technician myself I cerntainly didn't overlook this issue. But as you said for around 10 grand you could eat the gt 500.The other thing is if you had forged internals you could also increase the boost.Those number were at 11 lbs of boost.The kenne bell unit is known to hold 30 lbs.Im not sure how much power the block it self can hold, but you could certainly put out atleast 800 hp at 20 lbs and probably more.And all that would be off blower alone.Top end of the block close to stock.
cperrotta wrote:

The 4.6L block is pretty stout. I've seen them handle over 600 rwhp without a problem. It is a much better block than the 302. Plus the heads are bolted on much better and can handle a good bit of boost before popping a head gasket.

Where does one buy a new saleen mustang for $20 grand or even 30?

With factory waranty and reliability testing, and without the various other upgrades. Sure, you could probably upgrade a stock GT to similiar performance all around for about $10K, and then you're knocking on the door of the GT500's MSRP if you started with a GT with a similiar equipment level...

er Without...

You can't get a GT500 for MSRP!lmao The cheapest ive seen them for was close to 80 grand.
cperrotta wrote:

A friend of mine bought a new GT500 at Schlenker Ford in Hamburg, PA 2 months ago for $47,500. A nice White one with Blue Stripes...
tony wrote:

I just saw one on Boyd Coddingtons website white with blue stripes for 80,000 wit 26 miles on it.lol
cperrotta via CarKB.com wrote:

The person that buys it is an idiot.. IMHO...
It is like the Mazada Miatas when they came out... People went nuts and paid crap-loads of money for the things from some dealers... If you looked hard enough, you'd find them at or below MSRP during the so-called "Frenzy"....