Headlight Covers

For some reason, I think I have ruined the plastic covers over my headlights. They are becoming very foggy/scratchy looking on the outside. I assume it might be from some rain-x or wax that I put on the plastic in the past. Any advice? It is starting to bother me and for a '99 cobra, I think it looks bad. I have not checked into replacing them yet through the dealer parts store, but am thinking it might be my only option.

DB

Reply to
David Burris

Check around.... here in Canada, they are available aftermarket at a reasonable price. I would think that they should be available in the states, too.

Jim Warman

I just checked through several on-line Ford parts stores and the cheapest I found was $192.00 for each side. OUCH! Retail was listed at $352 for each...such a deal. Can't believe molded plastic can cost so much. I'll wait.

Reply to
David Burris

The stock lenses are plastic and have a UV hardcoat. That's probably the film you are seeing on them. Basically this method of making a headlamp is not durable. And I think that some countries disallow it entirely because of what you are seeing.

The headlamps on my '97 were once agian yellowed and scracthy looking. I polished them with some swirl remover and they look good again. This will eventually remove the hardcoat, and I know it. At that point I'll likely need to replace the headlamps. But for the time being polishing does the trick. should work on yours as well.

Reply to
Brent P

Thanks...I'll try that first. I am not familiar with what you call "swirl remover". Is that something I can get at my local auto parts store or Target or whatever?

Thanks again,

Reply to
David Burris

I generally use what ever polish I have handy at the momement. I've used show car glaze and swirl remover from Meguiar's. I've also used regular polishing compound, but sparingly because it isn't clear coat safe. They were particularly yellowed this time and had the swirl remover handy so I used the clear-coat safe swirl remover.

But anyway the stuff is for getting out spider web, swirl scratches and the like, so it's probably the best for the job. Auto parts stores carry the better stuff, a name brand like 3M, mothers, or Meguiar's should be good enough

Reply to
Brent P

I wish I could be more help, Dave.... I do recall most headlight pods going for near or less than $100CA from this supplier...... you mentioned "on line Ford parts stores"..... time to check further afield, methinks. Check your local aftermarket supply ... there is always the chance that you may be pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yeah, I've used the white 3m paste polishing compound for years on different headlight lenses.

Only problem is that is doesn't last nearly as long as new ones do. Maybe if you could re-spay them with some type of UV protectant ???

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Thanks Jim...there have been a couple of posts talking about using a polishing agent to remove the UV protectorant and that might be a temporary solution. I will still continue to check for new replacements though.

Reply to
David Burris