coating for headlights?

Last couple days have been snowy here, not real bad, BUT I have found that each day on a 20-30 mile drive after dark, I have to stop about halfway and find a gas station to use the squeegee to clean off my headlights so I can see again. The salt and road gunk builds up on them to the point where the low beams are useless and the high beams throw about as far as the low beams normally do.

I was thinking maybe wax, silicone spray, or rain-x? I know there's dressings you can get for wheels that supposedly make dirt hose right off, but it would seem that it would be far more useful to have something like that for plastic-lensed headlights?

I don't remember this being such an issue in years past, but this is the first time I've really been in snow in current car ('08 Impala.) Maybe a quirk of the aerodynamics of this car? Last personal car (Porsche

944) had hidden headlights which at least kept them from getting (too) dirty when not in use.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Pledge. Really. But with salt you'll have to apply it once a week or so.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Makes sense, I will have to try it. It is the shiznit for brushed stainless kitchen appliances.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Maybe some spray on Pam?

Pam, at the Goodwill store, she would say, What? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

This is a little different than what you're asking about but after trying meguiars wax, which only worked for a couple days or so for some reason, I've found that non-detergent motor oil works GREAT for extended period to render aged, foggy plastic headlight covers clear again and even with the slight amount of dirt it attacks/holds, it certainly remains much more transparent than no treatment at all. I was initially concerned that it might attack the plastic, but after months of treatments, that hasn't been the case. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Reply to
Mac

Not even going there!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Pledge or generic version of same. A GOOD wax job helps but about the only way to keep them really clean is a washer jet and wiper. I put a simple jet system on the Caravan I drove for work. Just used a pair of nozzles from a spray wand mounted to tabs of aluminum. Ran a T off the factory washer line. The nozzles were selected because they had a round spray pattern.

Reply to
Steve W.