Headlight is getting condensation in it, what do i do?

i got a 97 gt. i replaced them once already and i don't want to do it again.

Joe

Reply to
JoeJoe

My driver's side headlamp has condensation as well... haven't found anything that'll prevent it.. lemme know if you do =(

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Oh also my driver's side fog lamp keeps blowing bulbs at various times... getting tired of spending $8 each time to replace the f*cking bulb so I quit. I can't figure out what's wrong... then again I haven't looked hard.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

On my 89, the seem between the front and rear part of the headlamp assembly split at the bottom. I took it out, put water and disk soap in it and sloshed it around. Rinsed it out and let it dry. Then I carefully dripped plastic cement into the seam area. Let it dry and it worked. Be real careful not to get the cement on the reflector.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

This is usually the problem w/ the condensation. You can pull the assembly, remove bulb, blow in it, and feel for the leak. The Super Glue trick works well.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

The heat from the bulb has cracked the top of the foglight housing allowing mousture/water in. Remove foglight and seal with some high temperature silicone/gasket sealer and replace bulb. Be sure to check the other foglight as well as this is a VERY common problem.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Other foglight has *never* had the need for a new lightbulb... it's been brighter than the driver's side foglamp as well... which I didn't understand, but that would make sense. I'll try to figure out how to remove the foglamp when I get some money for a new bulb.. thanks, Tim. You friggin ROCK ;D.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Greetings all,

I had a similar problem a few years back with an 88 Tempo with the plastic "buckets". Never was able to find the leak so I drilled a couple or three ~3/16" holes in the bottom/front edge of the bucket at an angle that would allow the wind passing over the holes to draw air/water out of said bucket. Never had to do anything to the other headlight.

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

My passenger side keeps blowing, and when i say blowing i mean blowing up. stupid fog light.

Joe

Reply to
JoeJoe

Tim, thanks bud... that really helped me. I'm replying to other dude's post though to tell him what I did.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Yeah mine were blowing up too... as in exploding.. I did what Tim suggested. I first went to O'Reilly & got some hi-temp silicone gasket maker (orange) and a new foglamp bulb (#899 for 98 Mustang GT). Then I brought out the tools (I don't have many... maybe 150 including sockets, etc.)... got under there.. tried to figure out how to take the sucker out.. finally figured out it is held in place by a single bolt/nut. I took off the nut (larger than the other 2 above it.. it's the lowest bolt & largest of the 3).. took that off.. pushed the lamp assembly forward & to the left & it slid out... of course I removed the old shattered bulb before doing anything besides taking my tools outside. Then I filled it with hot water & slushed it around a bit... little shattered bulb pieces everywhere.. cleaned it out real good.. dried it out as best as I could... cleaned the assembly itself on the outside the best I could (so the silicone would stick & work best). Surely enough... there were "cracks" along where the clear plastic part of the assembly meets the black plastic.. so I filled in the entire outer lining part with gasket maker stuff & installed it. It was a little tricky getting it aligned right, but 1 person can easily do it... 2 is helpful, but I did it myself. I was having a problem where my driver's side (the one constantly blowing) was dimmer than the other (passenger), but now they're equally well-lit & it looks great. I might even take out the passenger side just to clean it out real good like I did the driver's side. Usually when my bulbs blew... they blew within a day.. a week at the longest. I've been through quite a few of 'em... but each time I took 'em out they were covered with water & I think this'll definitely solve the problem. I tried bulb grease & they blew as soon as I turned the lights on. THAT REAAAALLY pissed me off. Again though... this was Tim's suggestion that I took & so far am having great luck with. Silicone stuff was $2.97 & new light bulb was $6.99... a lot cheaper than buying a new foglamp assembly.

-Mike

"JoeJoe" wrote in message news:0MXdc.2310$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net...

Reply to
<memset