HELP!?!?!?!?

I've got a '97 GT Manual Vert w/ little mods up to this point. She's been running fine... Started it about a month ago and noticed that it took a long time to start. then it idled really rough. As I got her down the road the engine started hesitating/missing then the Check Engine light came on. Any ideas?? Checked the plugs... I had 2 with oil on them... replaced plugs, didn't fix. I cleaned the MAF, checked the spark plug wires, replaced ignition coils. Engine light didn't come back on and the car ran fine... for about a week. Then the car started hesitating again. No check engine light this time. Parked the car because I started a new job. Let sit for about a week. Started it.. drove it ran good but then the car would jerk hard once while cruising... did this about 3 times over about 15 minutes. Then the check engine light came back on and now it runs really rough. No hard jerks anymore just really sluggish and it died once while idling. HELP?!?!?!?!?

Reply to
techie9

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote in news:1129321290.740841.70720 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Disconnect the MAF see if that helps... but WHAT KIND OF "TECHIE" didnt go have the codes read?!!!!!!

- dont let them sell you anything unless it is obvious.

alt.autos.ford

Thoguh Warman and others read this group, too... it aint a 'mustang' problem.. it's a FORD engine problem

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
cprice

Ignition module?

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:W114f.190314$oW2.63057 @pd7tw1no:

nope

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

A computer techie... not a car techie. HA! Tinkering with cars for the first time in my life. What better car to have fun with than a Mustang?? I've gone to several auto parts stores and none of them seem to have a reader. Do shops charge?? I may just buy myself a reader. Not that expensive.

Reply to
dz

Ignition module? My brother-in-law suggested ignition sensor. Is that the same? Why wouldn't it be this? How could I test?

Yes, I disconnected the MAF, pulled the negative battery cable and let sit for a while. Reconnected the battery and ran it. Same problem.

Reply to
dz

"dz" wrote in news:1129393100.380355.108210 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

well, if your IT techie and want to get into cars, a good deal... do some research first.

And yes... most read codes free, but it's a regional thing. Ask them.

But why are you using netzero, then? live in the boonies without DSL?

Check out yahoo's deals

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Used to use netzero a long time ago. kept the address for posting on the Internet and subscribing to services so my official email won't pick up spam from web crawlers. Keeps business business and play play.

Research definitely. That is why i'm on here. Figured I would get advice from experienced people before diving in any further.

So far I've eliminated the spark plugs, wires, ignition coils (replaced those because there was rust on the bottom side of them... figured what could it hurt) and MAF. Not bad I think. After I replaced the ignition coils and cleaned the MAF the C.E.L. stopped coming on and the car ran great. Even picked up some pep, assuming that was from the clean MAF. Thought I had it licked. But no. Now that I have a C.E.L. again I can do a read on it and hopefully really nail it down.

Reply to
dz

"dz" wrote in news:1129408568.033103.312070 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

well go to google groups this group and search... discussion here a while ago on readers... then check the other sites like corral.net

check those two plugs again and oil filler for signs of blowby, too

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Already have... posted on stangnet as well. Looking for some fresh ideas at this point.

Reply to
dz