Here's one for Big Al

A post from the Vintage Mustang Forum:

Built this engine my last yr of college...and finally made it to the track 4 yrs later. Graduating...jobs...moving...etc are my excuses.

Anyway..took advantage of some nice cool weather this past weekend...

50 deg and clear. Track elevation is 1250'. I did not bother to calculate DA but probably near sea level I would guess.

Engine Build:

1969 Lincoln Mark III donor (10.5:1 compression stock) Reused bottom end sans new bearings and oil pump Stock heads except for a little work around the valve guides and eliminated casting flash... Cam was a bad choice... Comp Cams Magnum Cam 280 - single pattern, 230 @ .050, .530 lift Intake: Performer RPM...untouched Carb: 4150 Holley 830 DP Headers: 1 3/4" with 3" collectors...FPA "shorty" headers Full 3" exhaust with cheapo summit mufflers

So that's it...basically a stock lincoln 460 with a carb, intake, cam, and headers.

Don't mind the ET as that's unimpressive...I was happy with the mph though...

Best Pass:

60' - 1.82 1/8 ET - 7.84 @ 90mph 1/4 ET - 12.18 @ 113

The car weighs right around 3450 with me in it. Using the online calculators for the mph and wt, I get 388rwhp...using 20% drivetrain loss comes up with about 460 EHP.

Total amt invested in all the engine parts..including buying the whole parts car for $500 was right around $2k.

Trans is a stock 72 galaxie c6 with a TCI valve body I have $130 invested in the trans. Rear is a 9" 3.50 gears, locker

ET was 12.18 but the mph is there for easy 11's with some real tires. Those 18" Nitto DR's just don't get it done at the track...but they look pretty mean IMO.

Reply to
one80out

Our 67 is basically the same build, except we have a flat tappet solid lifter Lunati cam. And our car is 3,000 pounds sans driver. Runs low 11's @

116. My 10:1 Maverick ran 11.69 with the exact same cam. But, both of these cars have a high stall converter and slicks. We find the 460's need 4.30 gears.

Pat's BBF powered Camaro turned 8.32 last time out. This is a 563 inch,

4.565 X 4.30 Ford, with C460 heads and a tunnel ram. Best it ever ran before was 8.63 with a 514 with A460 heads. The 514 is 14.5 to 1. The 563 is 11.6 to 1. Pat's Camaro is the one on "Pinks" in Phoenix.

Al

Reply to
Big Al