Hey, V'ger, what about those tires?

In your sig, I noticed you use KDWS tires. I'm getting ready to buy tires for my Cobra, and I can't find anything other than sales pitches.

My car weighs around 2200#, and should make somewhere around 525hp. Will those tires handle that kind of power?

Reply to
boB

I have these tires on the '93 LX 5.0, and have been pretty happy with them so far. Nice and quiet, love the turns, a fine replacement for the old Comp T/As.

But TFrog only put out 205hp in her best days.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I ran BFG Comp T/A Z rated on my 5.7L TPI TransAM GTA and that car had loads of power to spare. It had originally come with Goodyear Z rated and, without trying, I went through 3 sets at $1600 a set of 4 in 1.5 yrs. Sticky Factor was a 10 and Wear Factor was a 2.

I switched to the BFGs and Sticky Factor dropped to about 8 and Wear Factor went up to 7. So, I was very happy with them. (So was my spouse who managed the checkbook!) They are very similar to the Comp T/As.

How they would handle, in the real world vs hype world, 525 horses, I don't know. I think you would be well served to post a question about tires to meet your needs. There are a lot of people running much higher horsepower than mine, so you'd get a better idea.

The reason I say this is that I have not tried mine out yet on this car. They are on it, but the car is still with the company doing the restoration. I went with them because I was very happy with the BFG Comp T/As I had on the GTA, and they looked good to me.

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Thanx for the info. I've been asking around. But it seems that tires are either the biggest secret, or the biggest mystery. No one os willing to admit what tire they have on their high hp street car. The KD's look good, but they are expensive. Nitto 555R's look good, too; and are half the price. Probably get half the wear, so it's a wash. Oh, well. I'll probably decide at the last minute.

Reply to
boB

I got a pretty good deal on the gForce tires through Summit Racing. Whatever tires you're looking for, there are some major tire dealers you should check for pricing. Like look in the ads in "Car and Driver". What I saved allowed me to also get locking lugs, and security bolts for my centercaps (at $200+ a set I sure don't want to make it easy for some twerp in a parking lot to walk off with them). They are NOT the tires which were recommended by Vintage Wheel Works for the wheels I got. Speaking of which, I got the wheels at about half price because they were slight blemished (unless you really look close you can't tell). Nothing physically wrong.