rant about sears tires

I bought a set of Michelin tires at sears back in fall 01 and have since put a little over 1000 miles on the tires... half of which I put on this past weeked. As I was leaving town for the weekend I noticed that the car was vibrating at speeds over 65mph... the car had been balanced and aligned during the same week these tires were installed. So, i took the car back to sears to make sure they had balanced the tires correctly (they really slack off about calibrating their tire machines). Well, turns out one of the tires had a big bulge on it and needed to be replaced... no big deal i figure, it is under warranty, it only has 1000 miles on it... Well, they warrantied the $80 tire, but charged ME for the $10.99 balancing and the $7.50 for road hazard. They said that those were only good for the lifetime of the tire so I had to pay $20.45. Okay that's fine, but my old tire had only 1000 miles on it and is warrantied for 65,000 miles... so why should I have to pay this amount? Sears said that they are not responsible for manufacturing defects... so aparently I am? Funny how if the tire had exploded or something due to the seperation that it would have been covered under road hazard and I wouldnt have had to pay for it. over the past 2 years I have purchased 14 tires from sears ALL with the road hazard warranty... and they won't cover the $20.45. what kind of customer service is that?

I really like Michelin tires, and liked the convenience of being able to go to any sears store in the country if I had problems... but if they are going to screw me on $20 I don't think I should be buying from them anymore. Where do you guys buy your tires? I really prefer Michelin tires. Do places warranty tires even if you do not buy from them?

end rant

Reply to
VWGirl

Last year I bought sears guardsman 165 15 radials from sears on a carryout of 4 tires for $99.00. 40,000 mile warranty. At 25 bucks a tire, I will warrant myself if I have to. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I could go on and on about sears products, especially their crapsman tools, water softener, lawn mower, etc. I consider myself to have been ripped off by them for the last time.

I bought a pair of tires for the front of my car once. Fine. Then a little while later I went back for another pair of tires to match the first pair. They put on 2 different sized tires. When I told them about the mistake the response was (now get this) I must have asked for 2 different sized tires! Sure, like I want 3 of one size and one of another size!

I bought a battery there once and the 'mechanic' (???) took the clamps off of the battery posts with a pair of pliers, put in the new battery, and put the clamps back on with a pair of pliers. Chewed the hell out of the nuts.

I had better stop now. I could rant for page after page.

Dan '73 SB

Reply to
Dan Smith

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:29:42 GMT, "Dan Smith" , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Aw, c'mon Uncle Dan! Tell us about the Sears lawnmower fiasco again! Purty please! :-P *puppy dog eyes*

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

You should be proud of me for not going on like I did last time Uncle Shaggie. I think I wrote at least twice as much that time didn't I? :-)

Did I ever tell you about the wood chisels?

Reply to
Dan Smith

hmmmm.... do i want to know how you guys would be each others uncles???

Reply to
VWGirl

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:25:43 -0400, "VWGirl" , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Don't play like you don't know, Aunt Lauren. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Hey, I like craftsman tools. When I get ripped off for my van toolsets (um, let's see, now... about once a decade - three times so far), the bad guys get my beat up rusty craftsman tools and I get shiny new ones without paying an arm and a leg. I ain't buyin' no snap-on's for no crooks.

Reply to
67_bus

ack! don't involve me in your twisted family!

Reply to
VWGirl

Been to sears for tires before. Never again...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
sears to make sure they had balanced the tires correctly (they reallyslack
Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:07:10 GMT, "\(O\\|/O\)\(.\\~/.\)" , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

You can have my Craftsman tools when you pry them from my COLD DEAD HANDS!!! /Charlton Heston

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

We may be uncles but that doesn't mean we're each others uncles. Actually,

3 days ago (Sunday) I became a great uncle, not that I'm all that great. :-)

Reply to
Dan Smith

I should have qualified that statement. I have lots of Craftsman hand tools that I like but the crapsman power tools are terrible, IMHO. But for the price of their hand tools, I'm definitely paying for any replacements I ever get.

Ummm, Snap-On! (said in a Homer Simpson voice, as in Ummm, doughnuts!) I wish I could afford them.

I'll stop with the sears rant now so Uncle Shaggie doesn't scold me again. :-)

Reply to
Dan Smith

"travis" wrote

Don't tempt us.

:o)

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:08:27 GMT, "\(O\\|/O\)\(.\\~/.\)" ran around screaming and yelling:

i got sears tires on my truck now....they are much better than the tires i got from the local "tire station"(firestone store)...the new ones actually keep the air in them...LOL joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Just one????

Same axle at least should have two identical tires.. not just identical size.. but manufactuirer and tread pattern and all.. hell even same mfg DATE if you want to be accurate

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Lauren, it's a southern thing I'm sure.. then again you should know better... ;)

Jan

VWGirl wrote:

Reply to
Jan

A real bummer when your nuts get chewed! ;)

Reply to
KWW

Of course, from what I recall, even name brand tires sold at places like Sears and Wal Mart might not be the exact same model number as is sold elsewhere. Manufacturers sometimes make tires to meet specs. Auto manufacturers are worse, they often spec tires to optimize a particular test or other (maybe mileage) but sacrifice other characteristics such as safety/longevity/etc. That was the root behind the Ford Expedition/Firestone fiasco, if I recall properly.

Reply to
KWW

I just want his welder! :-)

Reply to