high output alternator

anyone know of any vendors who make a high output alternator for an 03 Ford Cobra that can produce +160 amps (7-800rpm) at idle and say 250 to 300 amps @ 2500 (or so) rpm?

Preferably externally regulated. Have searched for a while now and it seems that this particular car is tough to fit, or not too many vendors make a bolt on direct replacement.

Any ideas??

Reply to
Anthony Watters

What the hell do you need 300 amps for??? Pimp/rice stereo system?

However, you could run 2 separate alternators with special brackets. One for the car itself and the other for the set of 18's in the trunk. I've seen it done.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Holy sh*t!!!!!! That would be an impressive hunk of wire, both for constructing the alternator, and for wiring it into the car.

300 amps at 14.5 volts = 4350 watts. That's a small gas powered generator. Good luck.
Reply to
Jimz466

Holy crap, you trying to make a welding machine??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

when adding up the current requirements for all of my audio gear, I come up with a (roughly) peak current draw of 160 amps. So if you add that to what the car would normally need to run with lights, air conditioning etc.. the total is more in the 200 to 220 amp range. Of course I wish to factor in 20% or so overhead, so that I do not 'burn up' another alternator. Thing is, that since I do alot of city driving, I tend to be sitting at idle waiting for the light to change, hence the need for that much current @ idle.

Reply to
Anthony Watters

Like I said before. You're gonna HAVE to go custom and run 2 alternators. Have you thought of getting a few big caps? They'll offset a lot of the load while at idle.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I already have have a BatCap 'MegaCap' and 2 BatCap 400's installed as well.

A second alternator? Due to space limitations, I don't know if that is an option. However, if that can be accomplished. I would need a recommendation as to who could reliably (a good shop) do the job.

So far, most folks I have contacted won't go near that kind of work.

I am in Los Gatos, CA (close to San Jose)

Anyone in this area you (or others) could recommend?

Reply to
Anthony Watters

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

"Anthony Watters" wrote

Well I'm in Denver, so I can't help you with a shop. I bet that March can set you up with pulleys and brackets though. Definitely check out the car stereo shops though.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Try:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

seems like there are many choices/manufacturers of hogh output alternators, so the real question is, do they have one specifically for the 03 cobra that is capable of producing more than say 130 amps at idle and 250+ amps at say

2500 rpms?? So far ALL of the places I have checked do not have such an animal.

Reply to
Anthony Watters

I don't know about the 03, but when I was talking to a local rod shop about increasing the amps on my 65 due to the upgrades in stereo, ac, lighting, etc, they said it was no big deal to go higher, as long as you don't over do it. Just total up what you use at peak and add a % to it (they said no more than 50% over). I got the same kind of advice when I talked to a couple of different performance places online, though for my situation, I would have to change over to serpentine for above 200 amps.

I take it you got no help from any of the killer auto stereo sh>seems like there are many choices/manufacturers of hogh output alternators,

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Hi:

This company can help you:

Peter

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Try here. I talked to them and they were very helpful in determining what was needed to meet my requirements......