2003 Cobra brakes

I own a 2003 Cobra, and my brakes squeal. This is REALLY embarrassing pulling up to a stop-light in a really nice car, and have this happen. I have taken my car to a couple of local Ford dealers in my area and they tell me that this is 'normal'. Mu opinion is, that it did not happen when this car was new, (nor do I think they could sell a car off the showroom floor with squealing brakes!)

What is the best way to get this fixed properly by Ford or without spending alot a un-neccessary $$ . Any help is welcome Thanks

Reply to
Anthony Watters

Squealing brakes is a sign that something is vibrating.... mileage an usage would really help (crystal ball is in for hardware upgrade). Glazed swept surfaces, dust and damaged anti rattle hardware can exacerbate these vibrations. Squealing disc brakes are 'normal' to a point - some folks live comfortably with noises I can't and others have a polar attitude to brake noises.

Deglazing pads and rotors (3M cookies work pretty good) and cleaning the back side of the pads may help as may orange goo on the back of the pads.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I haven't heard it on my 03 cobra since I've had it ! not normal. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

Probably no caliper grease left on the metal to metal parts, like pins and back of pads. Could have been washed off,heated off or just worn off. Won't hurt anything but if it bothers you put some caliper grease on back of padsand caliper pins. See if that helps.

Reply to
dave

I don't know if this will help, but if works most of the time when this happens to me. Most of the time this is brake dust, and what I do is speed up to 50 or 55 or so and then step on the brake. After this check to see if it is sqeeking any more. Sometimes I have to do this twice, but most of the time it works

Sorry for my non-technical experience! I just know what works for me.

Nick

Anth> I own a 2003 Cobra, and my brakes squeal. This is REALLY embarrassing

Reply to
Nick