Horsepower Wars... Gotta Love the Sound Of This!

Here's a snip of some news I just found.

"For sports car enthusiasts, the impending arrival of the GT is genuine cause for celebration, not just for the GT itself but because it throws down the gauntlet to Ford's crosstown rivals -- Chevrolet and Dodge -- not to mention Porsche and Ferrari.

It's widely known that Chevrolet is preparing to launch its sixth generation Corvette next year, with a super high performance version to follow that will compete with Ford's GT. And Dodge will not want its Viper to be left behind as the rivalry heats up among Detroit's sports car elite.

By next summer we should be looking at the hottest line-up of performance cars Detroit has ever offered."

NoOption comments: The new Viper is 11-second capable, so it sounds like the new Ford GT, should run easy 11s. That means the next Z06 Vette will need to clip off about almost a full second from its '03 time to be competitive.

That means: Viper will probably need to go up to about 550 horses, and the next Z06 Vette to about 500?? The next Lightning will be pumping out about

550 and the SRT-10 pickup is expected to debut with 500. The Cobra has 390, the new GTO will have 350 (and 365 ft-lbs of torque) and even a compact (Neon SRT-4) is knocking down high 13's.

What a crazy world we're live in! Is anyone else seeing parallels with the Vietnam era?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Why would they bother? Ford is going to make a few dozen GT's (for effect, but let's face it, a number so small one is unlikely to ever see one on the street) for a year and then break the molds. I wouldn't bother if I were in charge of one of the other manufacturers and just continue with year-to-year improvements and ignore the flash in the pan ford GT as if it were an aston martin.

Reply to
Brent P

Hummmm, horsepower wars, an unpopular war, a shaky economy---no, I can't see any parallels myself ;).

Reply to
Ralph Snart

It's all about bragging rights. No one (manufacturer) wants their bully to get sand kicked in their face and not have enough firepower to at least settle the score.

And think about Dodge's creed. They're saying they will have the fastest vehicle in each segment. The Viper has been the king-of-the-hill for years kicking the Vette's ass since it debuted. The Neon SRT-4 is now the fastest sport compact for under 20Gs. And the soon to be released Viper-powered Ram pickup is supposed to knock off Ford's Lightning. Team Viper will not want it's snake to play second fiddle to some upstart like Ford's new GT, you can bet on it.

I think Dodge will more than likely build some new "special Vipers" to counter Ford new assult. And I for one can't wait to read the magazine road test shootouts...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Great just something for grade school boys to argue about while holding copies of R&T and C&D.

The ford GT is what, 2-2.5 times the cost of a viper? Just argue it's not the same class.

I don't know, but I outgrew magazine shoot out tests in HS.....

Reply to
Brent P

I wouldn't equate today with the late 60's or early 70's. It's nothing for an econobox to have 250 hp nowdays. We have a lowly Taurus with 200 hp from a DOHC V-6 and it can move pretty good considering it's a garden variety four-door sedan. The hp bar has been raised across the board and I doubt it will come down anytime soon. There's plenty of 400 hp luxury cars so 500-600 hp high performance sports cars aren't really that far out there. Also, there's many more places to buy oil from today than 30 years ago. OPEC doesn't control the world markets today like they did then and they're not nearly as unified.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Meanwhile Chrysler puts the Hemi in a Goddamn Intrepid. What losers!

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127