How is the 2005+ V6...Really.....

Nothing voids your entire warranty... just what part they can show was caused by your aftermarket parts... Some dealerships are jerks... some are very cool... mine was very cool... I had my TPS replace under warranty even though my N20 kit was hooked up to it! In plain sight! And I still had the numbers from the track on the windshield and my helmet in the back seat! LOL!

Warrantys are important.. but I think some people put to much emphasis on them... do you get rid of your car as soon as it's out of warranty????

Reply to
John S.

Trust me, it is! LOL! Funny... I show up at the track and everyone walks past and doesn't give me a second thought since i'm obviously a V6.. no fogs and single exhaust... then I make a pass and the next thing you know everyone comes over and wants to know what's under my hood! LOL!!!

Same thing happens around town... come up from behind me... see the single exhaust and think "AH! A V6.. easy target!" Seems my muffler drowns out the Vortech's whistle or they don't listen for it... either way they're usally pretty shocked when they get spanked... LOL!

Was at a local car show 2 weeks ago.. Guy comes up to me... "I've heard stories about this car... it's a V6 and it goes like Hell!" LOL!

Reply to
John S.

I would avoid the dealership for stripes... I personally do not like the factory stripe... especially the way they do the holes for the washer nozzles.. I found a local sign shop that does a lot of truck and stuff... Did a complete custom job on my car...

There are a LOT of people tinkering with the S197 V6! There is a lot of aftermarket support also!!! Surprisingly a number of performance shops I know of that were strictly V8 shops are starting to support the

4.0L! To see just how carried away the tinkering can get check out my car at:
or so see a wide rang of 4.0L cars check out the forum at:
John S.

Are you serious??? Do you really think that a GT will BARELY smoke a Cobalt SS??? LOL! The SS S/C is rated at 205HP / 200 ft/lbs! It does have the weight advantage... but it's still only a mid-14 second car!! Take an S197 V6 throw some bolts-on it and you can run with a Cobalt SS and have a LOT MORE STYLE! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

In fairness to the OP he was probably talking stock. Just about anything can be made to do just about anything better with enough parts.

There is a guy who puts Vette motors into Pontiac Fieros...

Talk about a sleeper :)

You just proved his point !

(Stock vs tuned)

For what it's worth I *don't* feel the V6 is a slug at all either in rag top or coupe. It's a fun car to drive and I agree with you that a few items (the tune mostly and muffler) makes a major difference although I have never tried it (yet!) the net seems to indicate it bumps things up nicely.

Also where I live, the rag top V6 and GT are pretty much a toss up price wise, at least looking at the stickers. They are both sticker at about $28,000 give or take.

I can get a V6 coupe, Pony, interior upgrade and some other bells and whistles for about $4000 less and I suspect their is a lot more bargaining space in that car compared to the GTs

I drove both the GT and the V6 this morning, back to back and yes the GT feels more powerful. However I felt the V6 with the Pony handled crisper? The GT felt a wee bit heavy in the nose.

One thing though about the GT was the sound of the exhaust as compared to the V6. Really nice growl!

Makes you feel like you are going fast even before you put the car in gear !

Brakes on the GT seemed better to me.

Suspension tightness felt the same but the V6 handled crisper to me, of course this is just a 10 minute loop around the town.

Bottom line IMHO the V6 is a much better deal, but a true Stang' enthusiast is going to love the GT.

One last thing, the throttle lag/bog was experienced in both cars. It felt like the old carb days when the accelerator pump was getting weak. Also if you feel it, quickly let of the gas and then press down again (do this real fast) sometimes the car does weird things. IOW it does in fact seem like the computer gets lost. Sometimes the car takes off like crazy and other times it bogs down even more. It's hard to explain.

Once the car hits 2nd (both automatics BTW) it pulls like crazy.

Like I said, unless I get some incredable deal on a GT (doubtful) I am going with a Vista blue V6/Pony.

I appreciate the advice on the stripes.

I've been reading some of the links that Al and you have given and it seems a lot of people are griping about the stripes fading etc.

Loved your site BTW!! Nice car you have there!

Reply to
Willy

Yea, but again you are talking about modifying the car. How do the stock versions compare? I'm not sure what a Cobalt will do, but I drove an SS model and hated it. To me it felt like a skateboard with a jet engine strapped on it.

Reply to
Willy

Sorry for the crossposts. I just realized it.

Reply to
Willy

Stock a Cobalt SS should beat a S197 V6... however a Stock S197 GT should more than "barely" smoke it!! (which was my point) Based on what I've read stock the Cobalt SS is mid-14's... Stock S197's are going ot be low 15's.... Stock S197 GT's are in the mid to upper

13's... although I've seen them in the 14's... I threw the bolt-ons in because the S197 V6 does get some pretty nice gains from simple bolt-ons....

By the way... what is the definition of "smoked"??? LOL! Is there a cutoff like .2 or .5 in a 1/4? LOL!

Reply to
John S.

Irrelevant, for instance the turbo diesel engine and transmission in my 2005 Superduty's replacement cost far exceed $20,000, it carries a 100,000 mile warranty. My dealer's service manager too USED to be vary liberal with his warranty work, he is even a authorized Banks dealer (he was installing Banks kits on new vehicles). Then Ford started overriding his warranty approvals, now if you make modifications, you get a denial right off the bat, and it's an uphill battle from there.

Besides, if you can afford to blow up your new cars engine, all while voiding your warranty, you could certainly afford to buy and insure the V-8 GT.

Yes Warranty's are very important, and valuable

The relevant thing here is most people would like to keep their new car warranty valid for the full term of the warranty.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

The beauty of the blown motor is we'll have a "spare" motor to rebuild this winter... We picked up a used 4.0L motor with less than 10,000 miles on it for a whopping $900!!! LOL!

Hell, I could have afforded to by TWO GT's if I really wanted to! As I mentioned before I bought the V6 on principal... I would rather spend a few thousand dollars building up my V6 than give the dealership one extra penny just because they happen to have a GT in stock!

So the guys that have blown their motors in their GT's... I guess they should have waited and bought a GT500???? LOL

Reply to
John S.

If you prefer half-assed hot rods to factory engineering, that's your thing, so be it, but it is not cheaper, better or more reliable. If you exceed the design specifications of any parts you are going to break them, if you like doing that, have at it. I think it is foolish and a waste of money.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

My Names Nobody wrote: If you prefer half-assed hot rods to factory engineering, that's your thing,

In my day, we drove what they gave us. And we LIKED it that way!

Not much of a hot rodder, are you Mr. Nobody?

Reply to
.boB

On the contrary, Mr. .boB I've done more hot rodding than most, converted automatic cars into manuals, put engines in cars that they never came in, converted from carburetor to EFI, modified rear-end housings, put a 671 blower on a 351 Cleveland (without a kit) and finally got it right, (My cousin still has the car), and blown up and repaired/replace more engines transmissions and rear-ends than I can count. What I learned from all that, is it is damn near impossible to backyard engineer better than factory engineering!

Insisting that you can buy a new V-6 Mustang and have it out perform and V-8 GT for less money without addressing the warranty and reliability issues is disingenuous, besides, it is foolish to bastardize a brand new car.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

LOL! Factory engineering... I have enough friends in the automotive engineering field that will tell you "factory" engineering means a bean counter watching over your shoulder to make sure you keep the cost to a minumum!!! Factory engineering has nothing to do with better or more reliable (as long as it makes it through the basic warranty period! LOL!)... it has to do with the bottom line! $$$$$...

How many people in this group keep their Mustang 100% stock? How many take their car to the dealership for EVERYTHING? Oil changes, air filters, brakes, mufflers?????

Stock does not automatically mean better!

As far as half-assed... I'll assume that was directed at my car... LOL! When was the last time a national publication did a feature on your car? Hmmmm.... How many car shows have you won? Got any time slips from the track?

The fact is there is room for improvement from the factory... If you're happy with your car, that's wonderful! Good for you... Personally I view working on my car as a hobby and chose to spend my money on it... Nothing foolish about it... it's a very satisfying hobby at that! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

Who said anything about "backyard" engineering? We are talking well engineered package from Vortech (or other reputable company). My engineer buddies (from Ford btw...) were very impressed with the Vortech setup! Nothing 'bastardized" about it at all... Running the standard Vortech kit should really not affect the car reliability... if you start pushing things by swapping pulleys or screwing with the tune.. then yes, you run the risk of a problem... But if you use the kit as designed there should be no issue... heck, the Shelby CS6 (V6) does in fact come with a warranty! They are using the Paxton kit which is really a rebadged Vortech! I suppose the guys at Shelby are a bunch of backyard hick engineers! LOL!

Again.. the prices difference between my V6 and what a GT would have cost me was $8000... again... I will not argue that point... it was $8K.. period! Spend $5000 on the V6 and it will out peform a stock GT... and be VERY RELIABLE! Take the extra $3000 and invest it... Consider that your warranty! A perfectly good, lightly used 4.0L can be had for under $1000!

Reply to
John S.

Are you really that thick? How did you blow up you first engine? "Backyard" engineering wasn't it?

Yet you still keep trying too... LMFAO

it was

Reply to
My Names Nobody

No... it's called DRAG RACING... Bad things can happen when you DRAG RACE... We are talking about two completely differenent things here. We are talking about a heavily moddifed car that pushes the limits at the track... vs a much more mildly modded car for use as a daily driver. We were not talking relibility of race cars...

On N20 my car was pushing close to 500 ft/lbs of torque... of course something was going to break! That was a given! LOL! It was just a matter of time! There is a moment at the tree when you simply throw caution to the wind and go for it... and sometimes when you do that stuff breaks... It's all part of racing...

Now my car is set up a lot more milder... The N20 is gone and I'm running a Vortech.. The car is now at 313RWHP/290RWTQ... in this configuration it is very reliable... If it wasn't reliable do you think Shelby would be building the CS6's? (They are using a Paxton blower) Especially since it comes with a WARRANTY????

The CS6 is a perfect example (although VERY OVERPRICED!) of an improvement of your beloved factory engineering... Perhaps you should call them up and tell them to quite bastardizing those Mustangs! LOL!

Reply to
John S.